Author Topic: Suggestions please??....  (Read 5359 times)

adam3

Suggestions please??....
« on: July 12, 2008, 10:05:26 am »
Hi all! I have been reading the message board for a couple of weeks now so i thought its about time i signed up and started posting. Me and my Girlfriend will be travelling to Alykanas on the 20th, staying in Alykanas beach studios. Baring in mind we are 21 and 18 and have chose this resort because we are not massive clubbers (still love a drink tho..  :laugh:)could anyone suggest things on the island that are definitely worth doing? places that can't be missed? Food? Bars? Infact any information that you think would be relevant to us would be fantastic if thats not too much trouble.
Sorry if there are posts like this all the time but we just want to make sure that we make the most of our time on the island because it is an exellent place to holiday by all accounts.

Thanks in advance for replys (hoping i get a few replys now  :laugh:)

Adam

makavelli

• Offline Offline
Re: Suggestions please??....
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 10:52:33 am »
Hi Adam,

Not sure where to start really, some touristy bits are;
The blue caves
Shipwreck
Zakfari
turtle trek
cruises around the island
trips to Kefalonia and athens
Zakynthos Town trip
Trainiki
There's also a water park.
I'll just add that it's generally thought wiser to book any excursions with the local companies rather than Kosmar as it's a lot cheaper.

As far as eating and drinking are concerned, there aren't really any bars or restaurants I would suggest you avoid because they're all good - you'll just have to give them all ago!!

Places we like to eat are;
To Paradosiako (on the way to Alykes)
Apollo
Mantalena
Lemon Tree (get a horse and carriage)
Olympic Kitchen (in Alykes - really smart, great food but more like an english styled restaurant than greek to look at)
The Stone Bridge cafe, opposite Letsos Hotel do great (and cheap) Gyros, which make a nice lunch

Pubs are;
The hotel bar is nice for a starter, then Dilemma just up the road, DNA, Geckos and busters, but again they are all very nice and welcoming.
The Iris Bar in Alykes is good and has a couple of 18 hole crazy golf courses in behind.

Alykes used to be a lot busier and livelier in recent years but not overly busy and is just a 10 minute walk away.

I can promise you that you will have a great time, in my opinion you have chosen a fantastic hotel to stay at - they can't do enough for you and are very friendly. They do a really good Greek night on a Monday, nice food and plenty of it, great Greek dancers (that you WILL join in with!)  and a great firework display at the end which is all in the price - which I can't remember at the moment. The Mill Bar have their Greek night on a Friday and , although we haven't been, is meant to be the best on the island (could be self proclaimed, have no evidence) I think booking is suggested.

You can find all the reviews on the main site by looking firstly at the resorts of Alykanas and Alykes and then chossing the sub category.

!Have a great time!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 11:43:59 am by makavelli »

clairey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 12:47:02 pm »
Hi Adam

Firstly - you lucky buggers, i've only been back 6 days and miss my fave place SOOOOO much already :'(

I would second everything makavelli has already said but add the new restaurant 'Vagi's' to the list as well as my favourite 'Neraida' which is a 10 minute stroll along the beach (towards Alikanas harbour).  The setting is idyllic, they have live music every night, complimentary wine and the food was delicious.

Catacomves (est 1988) does the best cocktails (in my opinion) and has happy hour all night, cocktails 3euro's. Stop by and watch the world go by from it's elevated position in the town centre.  Say 'hi' to Dennis from me ;D

We hired a car a couple of years ago and drove up the the top of the island where we found 'potamis brothers boat trips' - they take you  RIGHT  into the blue caves for a fraction of the cost in resort.

Whatever you do you'll have a fab time - let us know  ;D

Regards

Claire  ;D

suzyq

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:49:22 pm »
hi Adam, welcome to the boards and what took you so long? ;) Have to agree  on everything with Makavelli, and just add that Zeus and Fever bar are both worth a visit and the nearby Vrisakia taverna which are all down near Danny's. Also Memories diagonally across the road from Busters. The pork chops there must come from the biggest pigs this side of Mount Olympus. You two have a great time as we are sure you will and open yourselves up to that old Alykanas magic. Oh and by the way nothing on here is too much trouble for our newbies. stay safe, be happy and once again, welcome 8) 8) 8)

adam3

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 03:38:23 pm »
Thanks to you three for replying. really appreciated. i think ive got plenty of info off you which should be a real benefit when we get over there. We will definitely be having a great time, i'll make sure of that!!  ;D
I will be sure to try as many of your suggestions as i can makavelli and thanks for such a detailed reply 8)
I will no doubt be trying the cocktails for 3 euros haha might hav a swift 10 of them  :laugh:
Again thanks for your replies!!

Adam (the newbie) haha  :laugh:

ellectrastar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 12:00:43 am »
Definitely visit DNA, it'll be on your way back to the hotel anyway! Staff are brilliant and you will have a good laugh with them.

suzie w

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 10:16:28 pm »
Hi
Noticed Mill Bar Greek night mentioned. Returned last Sunday. Went to The Greek night there on Friday before we left. Had a fantastic time. :laugh: And almost everyone joined in at sometime during the night. Was a bit worried about the set bbq menu but it was lovely. Also if you pre book its 16 euro(7 for kids) if not its 18. Got free shots at the bar, and the owners and staff are very friendly. 1 of our best nights during our 2 week stay.  Enjoy your hols. :laugh: :laugh:

annie apple

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 11:20:34 am »
Like you we're not clubbers (too old!) but we like a good choice of bars.  We alternated one night in Alykanas and one night in Alykes and there was plenty to keep us happy for 2 weeks. 

Alykanas bars we liked were Ammos (on the beach, good salads & vodka measures!), Busters (for quizzes & best english breki), Catacombes, Mojo, DNA and Jam Inn (all lively).  For an odd experience go to the christmas eve night at the Tipsy Toad  :-\  Nice meals at Vrisaki (greek taverna) and Timepiece (sunday & weds roast). 

If you go to Alykes, take shortcut thru back of AB hotel, up the tarmac drive, along the river & over the 6 hump bridge.  Its much safer than main road especially in the dark.  Here we had lovely meals at Paporo (on the beach), Olympic (quite posh) and Relex (best moussaka).  Brilliant bars in this area are Magic Mushroom (Spiky & Vince will amuse) and Jungle. Up the 2 side streets on the other side of the road are Iris (very friendly & good fun) and Cheers (nr Zorbas) for excellent quiz nights.

Probably best meal is at Pardosiako (between the 2 resorts by the river).

Have a great time.

adam3

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 09:39:22 pm »
May have to take a visit to the greek night!
I think we wll visit both alykes and alykanas at night so we can have a bit of variety.
Does anyone know how busy it is at the moment?? i heard that it was a little quiet this year compared to previous years...

Adam

annie apple

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 09:45:23 am »
Can't compare to other years (never been b4) but for us it was just right.  Enuf people in bars/restaurants for a bit of atmosphere but always tables free so you didnt have to book or Q.  From the owners point of view i'm sure they would prefer it to be a lot busier.

We actually won 2 tickets to the Mill Bar greek night in 1 of their quizzes but in the end didn't go because its a bit away from the village centre and we thought it would be too quiet (had visions of just me, him & 3 greek dancers plate smashing etc!).  I think we made a mistake because by all accounts reviews say its a great night down there.  Never mind, we'll go next time (only we'll have to pay then  :'().

arthur

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 10:28:59 am »
We just got back from Alykes.  It is definitely quieter this year, but as Annie says there are enough people around, it is just not too busy and therefore easy to get a meal without having to wait or book.  I am sure it will get a lot busier once the school holidays kick in next week.  A lot of the locals are grumbling about the lack of customers though, it is there livelihood after all.  Nikos the owner of the apartments in which we stayed told me that a lot of hotel owners are suffering and some have had to close, partly through lack of business and also the stranglehold that the big operators like Thomas Cook have on them. :-\

Sonia

• Offline Offline
  • I love Alikanas
    • Utility Warehouse
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 01:28:29 pm »
Can't compare to other years (never been b4) but for us it was just right.  Enuf people in bars/restaurants for a bit of atmosphere but always tables free so you didnt have to book or Q.  From the owners point of view i'm sure they would prefer it to be a lot busier.

We actually won 2 tickets to the Mill Bar greek night in 1 of their quizzes but in the end didn't go because its a bit away from the village centre and we thought it would be too quiet (had visions of just me, him & 3 greek dancers plate smashing etc!).  I think we made a mistake because by all accounts reviews say its a great night down there.  Never mind, we'll go next time (only we'll have to pay then  :'().

Definitately made a big mistake there Annie, even at the beginning and end of the season, the Mill is possibly the busiest bar in the resort on Friday nights (Greek Night).
Want to save money each month??? Check out my website http://www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk/chamsonoptions

adam3

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 04:19:33 pm »
Going tomorrow morning. got to be at the airport around 6 so i thought i would just say thanks for all the help and ill be sure to let you know how we got on when we get back!!

See you all in 2 weeks!!

Adam and Zoe