Author Topic: Review Alykanas Oct 8th-15th 2009 now with pics  (Read 7381 times)

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
Review Alykanas Oct 8th-15th 2009 now with pics
« on: October 17, 2009, 04:08:00 pm »
8th-15th October

Temperature 25-27 degrees, with 4 days good sunny weather but changed on the Sunday night with heavy rain and the wind increasing during Monday. Noticed that cargo ships had anchored about 1 mile offshore for shelter. Monday night more of the same but Tuesday was a little better but still windy and showers about.. Wednesday was better but had more rain when went to go out for evening meal. Good job I took my waterproof.

Apartments Litsa studios Alykanas located at southern end of the village down lane opposite Elpida hotel. Nice quiet location consisting of one 2 storey block and one 3 storey block of which top floor rooms built, but not fitted out. Room was very clean with usual  2 pine single beds, dresser and chair and fitted wardrobe, .Kitchenette had one single ring, kettle, pots and pans but no toaster(norm), Fridge was clean and stayed on as on separate ring to rest of studio when door key was removed from master switch. Rooms were regularly cleaned and bins emptied, towel and bedding changed once during week I stayed .Pool area was clean and tidy with small pool for kids, closed in evening so that pumps can run and chemical added. There was a slight algae build up on some of the tiles but the water had been circulating for nearly 6 months I guess, so to be expected. Plenty of sunbeds but fabric could do with a clean but again was late in the season. There was a small pool bar for drinks and snacks.
I would have no worries about staying there again.

Restaurants and bars  some closed while I was there but most were still open but a little quiet, Ate at Memories, Cosy Corner and Vrisaki in Alykanas. All very good meals(excellent breakfast at Cosy Corner) with Memories (and others) doing main meals at 5 Euros. Vrisaki has now closed for season
Apollo, Fantasia and Paradosaiko in Alykes the first two were very good but most disappointed with the later. This restaurant is one of the best around and I have eaten there before, but although the service was first class  the food was not up to their usual high standard.
I ordered onion rings to start  and got about 10 rings on a leaf of lettuce, very poor, obviously frozen type and the ones you get from Iceland would have knocked spots off them. Main course Zakinthian beef stew with rice and chips, The meat was superb and dropped apart and  there was a lot of it, but the meal was badly let down by the chips, dried up and tasting of stale oil, I could only manage 2 as they were so bad.
I have no idea what they were doing ( short of stock or wrong chef? ) but hopefully they will have sorted it out soon.  If you are going I suggest you ask for the roast potatoes if they have them and steer clear of the onion rings. I will of course try them again based on previous experience.
I only frequented 2 bars during my stay, Palm Tree once  and my favourite the  Iris Bar every night, both in Alykes, both excellent and very friendly staff.
Quick mention about cost of cereals in supermarkets here 4-5 euros a packet . knew in advance so took my own, 85p from Tesco

Out and About I hired a scooter from Nikos in Alykes as I have done on previous occasions  for 5 days at 40 euros. Went all over the Island with trips over the west side , Kalamaki Agios Sostis, Porto Koukla, Makris Gialos, Volumes,Maries, Agios Leon, Kiliomeno, Lithakia, Exo Chora, Tragaki, Macherado,Tsilivi etc. spent the huge amount of 10 Euros on fuel over the five days base on 1.06  euros approx  per litre
I also did a lot of walking in around the Alykes and Alykanas area and even managed to find Shoestrings restaurant at Old Alykanas .I found it from the road side and walked down to it and then onto the beach , I have always tried to find it previously from the beach side, but never walked down onto the sand and always stopped short at the end of the track. Also had a little stroll  up to the Aerials on the top of the hill overlooking Alykes via the monastery up on the Volumes road and then to Gyri,  stopping for 15 mins for a fanta orange in a taverna and then down the Lithakia track and then onto  Katastari , a little hard at 8 1/2 hours but worth it for the views over the entire island.

Mozi's Well been reading up on here about all the suggestions to avoid mozi bites and have been taking oudourless garlic and vitamin B suppliments for the 3 weeks before I went, then wiped myself down with mozi repellent wipes and sprayed my self all over with repellent spray, went out smelling of Eau du Deet and did it make any difference? Did it heck all about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Got me within the first 2 days about the same as last year with 1/2 doz bites. Went down to supermarket and bought the most enviromentaly unfriendly room spray I could find with skull and crossbones on the side. That fixed them in the room, it bought me great joy to see their bodies on the room floor.The only thing that stopped the mozi's was when the wind started to blow and the weather changed, they cleared off then. Raw lemon wiped on the bite does take the sting and itch out though.

Conclusion Hated every minute, so much so, I have booked for next year!

Taverna in Gyri
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:24:51 am by Gloom »
If at first you do not succeed.  Give up and go to the pub

Dave.

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • The older I get, the better I was....
Re: Review Alykanas Oct 8th-15th 2009
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 06:04:07 pm »
Very good review Gloom and glad you had a nice time. Ah the Iris bar,best bar in town isn't it,wish I was there now.That was a fair old walk you did up to the aerials. Is the monastery the disused one about half a mile past Katastari on the left? When you went on your walk is the caravan still there about half a mile from the aerials? When I went up there two years ago the chap who lives there had three dogs on the loose and they came at me barking like mad,and was quite frightening. Trouble is I had to pass them again on the way back and had another dose of them snapping at my heels. Puts me of going up there again.  Dave.

Apollo, September 20th-27th 2017.

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 07:19:01 pm »
Yes that's the one Came round on the scooter a few days later and there were two pigs running about on the road and some sheep behaving themselves on the side of the road. The caravan is still there but was closed
The walk was hard and I suffered a bit from heat exhaustion on the way up as could not keep stopping and take on enough water so nearly collapsed and went to sleep when got to the aerials. Recovered within 20 mins in the shade of a wall and sipping water  and then a German cyclist turned up from Munich on his own very professional looking machine. He had cycled up via Gyri from Katastari in Half the time I had taken but he had run out of water (warning to all).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 08:10:54 am by Gloom »

wheelerjan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 08:13:09 pm »
sounds like you had a good time.....8 1/2 hrs phew!!!thought 3 was bad!!!!walking to shoestrings and back lol   mind you was in august heat!!!

derekr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 09:14:37 pm »
Glad you had a nice time .I wish I could walk half as far

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 11:52:03 pm »
...a German cyclist turned up from Munich.

That's quite a ride.....did he go down through Italy or the Austria/Croatia route :laugh:?

Glad you had a good time though....love October in Alykanas. Would normally be there now ourselves but sadly not this year.

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 08:16:56 am »
...a German cyclist turned up from Munich.

That's quite a ride.....did he go down through Italy or the Austria/Croatia route :laugh:?

Glad you had a good time though....love October in Alykanas. Would normally be there now ourselves but sadly not this year.

Drove down from Munich and caught the ferry from Ancona. Cheated a bit really  I suppose ;) :laugh:

LFC4eva

• Jeanette
  • Global Moderator
  • YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • I luv Kalamaki !!
Re: Review Alykanas Oct 8th-15th 2009 now with pics
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 10:24:55 am »
Nice review and photos :D

Dave.

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • The older I get, the better I was....
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 10:52:24 am »
I went up the same way as the German on a mountain bike.Mind you I couldn't ride it up the hill had to push it.When the dogs came at me I had to get off as they were snapping at my heels.I used the bike as a kind of shield keeping it between me and them.Know what you mean about water you cant take enough.This year after reading your report of your walk up into the hill behind Katastari I gave it a try.Lovely views from up there. Again I never took enough water so when I had drunk the bottle I had I made my way back.On reaching Katastari I wasn't looking where I was walking(I was looking at some building) I slipped on some loose scree,had a bad fall and twisted my ankle. By the time I got back to the Pothos it had swollen up and was very painful to tread on. I maneged to buy a walking stick but that was my walking any distance over for for the rest of the holiday.Bit of a disaster really as I couldn't get up to the Iris bar for five days.  Dave.

Apollo, September 20th-27th 2017.

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 11:18:40 am »
Sorry to hear about your fall, yes the scree is a bit of a game at times, as your feet just go when you least expect it. A bit rough not been able to get to the Iris bar for 5 days though(should have given Tina a call she probably would have fetched you ;D)But at least you have got a good bar at the Pothos as a fall back

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 01:20:16 pm »
Stunning pictures again Gloom.

Definitely must get up there next time.

stooge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 01:30:29 pm »
Sounds like a great walk as my furthest was to the church on the hill from alykanas. I would love to try that walk next year so are there any maps online that would show me best/safest route?

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 03:53:31 pm »
Best map of the island I have seen is one that Christos has got
Link http://homepage.ntlworld.com/xmetal/zakynthos.jpg

But to be honest the maps are not good enough to find the exact tracks so I went onto Google earth and printed out a shot of the whole route then zoomed in on all of the critical track junctions and printed them off. Then used a highlighter pen to mark my way. Worked pretty well
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 03:55:24 pm by Gloom »

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 04:41:23 pm »
Very good review Gloom and glad you had a nice time. Ah the Iris bar,best bar in town isn't it,wish I was there now.That was a fair old walk you did up to the aerials. Is the monastery the disused one about half a mile past Katastari on the left? When you went on your walk is the caravan still there about half a mile from the aerials? When I went up there two years ago the chap who lives there had three dogs on the loose and they came at me barking like mad,and was quite frightening. Trouble is I had to pass them again on the way back and had another dose of them snapping at my heels. Puts me of going up there again.  Dave.

Sorry Dave just read your post again and the penny has dropped. The caravan you were on about is the one on the track back into Gyri from the aerials (not the one on the bend on the main road by the monastery at the start of the track up.) Yes it was still there and there was someone about and the dogs were barking but were not a problem.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 04:43:26 pm by Gloom »

Maud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 07:14:59 pm »
Oh Dave, that explains why we didnt see much of you around, didnt even see you on the flight home.  Hope all well with ankle now, expect to see you next Sept. Mind you we were very lazy this year and didnt venture far from Paradise and Paoulos. Perhaps Len will be with you next time.  M & G