Author Topic: first time to alykanas  (Read 4119 times)

cannie

• Offline Offline
Re: first time to alykanas
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 03:16:28 pm »
I have to say I have stayed in Alykanas 3 times at Grapevines and never had a drink in any bar in Alykes. (Sorry). I had a meal one at the Olympic which was lovely. I have been to the beach in Alykes and walked to the supermarket.. I think both villages are lovely, but we always seem to eat and drink in Alykanas. Staying this year for the first time in Vassilikos - as I love the beaches. ;D 8)

PD (paul n sarah)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 05:09:02 pm »
On our three previous visits to Alykanas we have stayed at the Beach , Village and Letsos so we have always been close to Alykes ....we walk over there at least twice a week.
The walk on an evening along the canal is a pleasure and something we very much look forward to.
Our fave in Alykes being the Astoria.

bigred

• Offline Offline
  • Big Red
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 05:44:11 pm »
I have to say I have stayed in Alykanas 3 times at Grapevines and never had a drink in any bar in Alykes. (Sorry). I had a meal one at the Olympic which was lovely. I have been to the beach in Alykes and walked to the supermarket.. I think both villages are lovely, but we always seem to eat and drink in Alykanas. Staying this year for the first time in Vassilikos - as I love the beaches. ;D 8)

8) You'll love the Buca bar on the beach at Alykes and also just a few yards from the beach is the Jungle Bar and Spikey's. Both really good bars with great banter, music and hosts. ;)

madgehomer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 11:51:07 am »
i,ve made a bit of  a boob i was looking at the street  view of the two resorts last night and when i saw the centre of alykes i  remembered thats where i  drove through so i,ve never been  to alykanas , but not to worry       the two look close enough to get the best of both   

Dawnie

• If the eyes are windows to the soul, your smile is the front door.
  • YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • Want to go back to Alykanas !
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 11:05:47 pm »
Alykanas is by far the better of the two  ;) ;)  I have stayed in both, and like to stay in Alykanas and stroll through to Alykes for a change of scenery :)

Which ever one you chose, as everyone says, they are so close it doesnt matter, you can walk between the two and sample the wonderful hospitality of all the bars and restaurants.

J0HN

• Eat Sausages !
  • Offline Offline
    • Rose & Crown
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 06:57:07 pm »
Completely OFF TOPIC  :o  but....

Was wondering if anyone knew what "Alykanas" means, if Alykes means "Salt Flats" it must be something similar ?  ::)

Back on topic, there's not a lot of difference, they're both full of Brits all year round  ;D

Peace
Come See Us In Kent !!
www.roseandcrownelham.com

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 07:13:29 pm »
Was wondering if anyone knew what "Alykanas" means, if Alykes means "Salt Flats" it must be something similar ?  ::)

The exact literal modern Greek translation is...

"Village near the flat salty place that is superior in every way. Whatever you do if you have the choice stay there instead of the other place. It's better. Honest."

I knew the Greek night classes would come in handy one day  8).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:42:17 pm by Mike »

J0HN

• Eat Sausages !
  • Offline Offline
    • Rose & Crown
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 07:25:11 pm »
Hahahahaha  ;D

Excellent answer from the man who will be holidaying this year in the vastly superior "OLD" salt free and not particularly flat village where I live.

Cheers Mike  ;)
Come See Us In Kent !!
www.roseandcrownelham.com