Author Topic: review Alykes May 2011  (Read 3565 times)

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
review Alykes May 2011
« on: May 29, 2011, 05:24:23 pm »
Pothos Apartments May 8th-22nd

Basic 2* apartments with usual Greek features including wet room. Bedding and towels changed once and bins and mop round every 2-3 days. Room pretty clean ( could be better). Spotless pool , pool bar serving drinks and snacks. Owners very helpful and cannot do enough for you  Have stayed here before and would have no worries of staying again. Oh ,and shiny new sun-beds round the pool. The salt flats area  has been much improved over recent years and this year was much tidier as all the bar hotel and restaurant owners getting together to clean things up The beach has also had a major spring clean for the start of the season ( excellent job).

Marvellous 2 weeks with weather a bit mixed for the first week with rain one night but quite breezy during the day which cooled things down a bit, improving during second week but had rain 1 day and night. Temps low to mid 20s ( plenty warm enough for me ).

Hired scooter for 13 days from Nikos bike rentals in the high street at 110 euros. Most of the prices were very similar to last year no major increases apart from petrol now at around the 1.70-1.75 per litre (recently dropping a little). I believe that taxi costs have risen a little due to the fuel and VAT(23%) increases .

Got round all over the island, including Volumes, Makris Gialos, Xigia, Ag Nicholaos, Afonitria, Maries, Exo Hora, Ag Leon, Limionas, Ag Marina, Tsilivi, Vasilikos with a trip over to Dafni beach for the first time ( road was a bundle of fun)Shipwreck (of course for the umpteenth time but never get tired of it) Korakanisi (this is one of my favourites and spent 1 ˝ hours crawling all over the islet and getting photos, no-one else around, marvellous). Visit to the museum at Pigadakia ( never been before and was full of old things).Giri and Loucha( stopped off to see Olga up at her café on the side of the hill
( another of my favourites with marvellous views over the valley).

The only self catering I did was make my own coffee first thing in the morning, all meals were taken in the many restaurants, café’s and bars,  plenty of selection. The resort was fairly quiet as it was only the start of the season and there were some premises that were not yet open when I arrived, but by the time I finished the majority were up and running.

I ate out every evening with the majority of my meals taken at Fidelios ( could not fault them) and ate at Piccadilly, Zorba’s, Maestro, Ponderosa and Anatolikos ( this one is tucked away at the end of the high street near the salt water intake for the flats and is well worth a try)all in Alykes, Other meals and breakfasts were taken at Cosy corner in Alykanas , and Redskins in Old Alykanas( another favourite, spent a lot of time here as it is such a peaceful area with marvellous views).
Evenings I always seemed to end up in the Iris bar up the Katastari road.

Got plenty of walks in again, round most of the lanes in the area with plenty of colour in fields under the olive trees and walks into Alykanas, along the beach before 8am. While it is all quiet. With 2 larger walks up to Giri and Loucha via Katastari ( went in seach of “The black cave) marked on the map, not sure if I found it or not and did a really nice walk up to Xigia up the lane by the side of the Apollo pool bar and along a track right just before you get up onto the main Volumes road ( past the old dump) on the track  you are about 200ft above the sea with wonderful views across to Kefalonia, This comes out on a bend in Xigia next to an excellent taverna at which I stopped for a light snack and glass of rose wine( well you have to don’t you) before returning the same way.

Altogether  another excellent time, cannot wait to get back again.

one of Chris's creations from the Iris Bar

View down the valley on walk to Giri (Alykanas in the distance)

View from Olga's cafe at Loucha

Redskins Old Alykanas

xechoriati (Old Alykanas) beach (crowded)

Limonias

Alykes beach on a breezy day(early morning)

On way to Xigia

Taverna at Xigia

Xigia beach

Pigadakia Museum

Spring Flowers

Korakonisi

Korakonisi
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:40:07 pm by Al »
Don't give up on your dreams.........Go back to sleep.

mrsmoon

• Offline Offline
Re: review Alykes May 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 07:14:07 pm »
some beautiful scenery there! Be seeing it myself in about 12 hours (whooooop)  8)

Solstice

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 07:24:05 pm »
I often go walkabout and fancy the trip on foot to Giri; nice picture
I want more than just two weeks in the sun!!!!

pat.e10

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 08:38:09 pm »
good report
must admit i giggled at the little bit about the "old things" in Pigadakia museum

Smurphos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 05:50:46 am »
Sounds like you had a nice trip Al, I'm sure we must have crossed paths at least once you seem to have been in many of the same places....

Daphne road is a laugh isn't it? - it started raining when we were down there and it's safe to say I did have some concerns about getting the car back up that steep dirt track in one piece if the heavens had really cracked open. Luckily it was just a passing shower and the sun started shining again.

Solstice

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 11:57:49 am »
How long did the walk to Giri take?

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 12:00:03 pm »
6-7 hours or so but I was ambling about a lot on the way down

Have sent you a PM with Directions

Al

Solstice

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 12:05:48 pm »
Thanks Al, much appreciated

zantegooner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 12:52:52 pm »

Good write up ,Al.
Sounds like the perfect break, just ambling across the Island discovering
new hidden places and revisiting some favourite old ones.
Did you take the Wild flower pics near Pigadakia museuem by any chance?
I ask because i'm currently building a small house right next to it and according to my neighbour the plot is at the moment being over run by the local flora and fauna.

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 01:09:41 pm »
After double checking it was actually taken in the lane that runs from up at Chartata down to the spring in the wall junction with the lane that comes out at the side of the apollo pool bar.

The flowers were everywhere and made a really fantastic display, much nicer than later in the year when everything has died back. Really pleasant walks, when all you can hear is the buzz of insects, birdsong and the occasional dog barking.

This seemed to like the flowers too
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:17:59 pm by Al »