Author Topic: Wheelchair friendly accommodation  (Read 1068 times)

Jaynesuperbrain

• Offline Offline
  • Having a scooby snack!
Wheelchair friendly accommodation
« on: February 21, 2013, 01:51:56 pm »
Could anyone recommend any hotels/apartments in Kalamaki that would be suitable and accommodating to a wheelchair user? 

Thank you.

Oceanic Kevin

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • Oceanic Rock Legend T-shirts available this season
    • Oceanic Chill Out Bar
Re: Wheelchair friendly accommodation
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 02:12:41 pm »
Hello there Jayne, First of all what are you looking for from your hotel, quiet location, central, kids club, what board?

There are quite a few which are wheelchair friendly but they may not be suited to what your looking for so if you give a bit more info it will help to short list the hotels for you.
If you want to chill out on your holiday to Zakynthos there's only one place to be - OCEANIC
http://www.oceanicchilloutbar.com/#

potsy

• Offline Offline
  • roll on zante
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 07:21:18 pm »
If i remember rightly caretta beach is whhelchair freindly , plus lifts to upper floor in main builing

Gone Fishing

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • Kalamaki - No More !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 08:03:34 pm »
Roseland hotel very disable friendly  :)

saganaki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 08:32:59 pm »
I would check directly with hotels/apartments and be VERY specific.

My friend stayed in a hotel with her Mum who has very limited mobility, wheelchair or walking frame, steps a problem, and so on.
They had checked that the hotel was 'disabled friendly', but there were steps up to her room and very rough ground to get to the pool.
In general it was not siutable for her although the staff did everything they could to help.
So make sure you are very clear about what you need before booking.

Kaz

• Kaz
  • YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 07:22:16 am »
The Venus has accessible rooms and ramps all over the hotel which makes getting to the pool, rooms and out to the road much easier.  If you email them on info@venushotel.gr with your specific needs they will be happy to answer your questions. 

http://www.venushotel.gr/index.html

Elena

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 10:38:19 pm »
I think that you need to consider the slope with some of the ramps to. It is ok to say that a hotel is wheelchair friendly, but some of the ramps are so steep that a normal person would struggle to push a wheelchair up them. Venus, Amaryllis, Roseland, Bitzaro Palace are all very steep if you have ever tried pushing an adult up them!!!Popeye would be needed... post spinach for most of them LOL! You should probably look for a hotel with an entrance that is fairly level to the street and with a lift. (Maybe Klelia, Exotica, Cronulla, or Meandros would be ok?).

Another thing to consider is that the pavements are really quite rough and the edges can be very steep. The entire resort of Kalamaki is not really wheelchair friendly in my opinion. They need to get a Disabled Access Officer on board there pronto! Most of us who have been going there for years marvel at the improvements. (There were no pavements for many years). However it is true to say that any wheelchair user is in for a rough ride! A few wee bevvies at Oceanic would of course make it more bearable LOL!

mickyp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 06:29:21 am »
i stay at antonis and for the last 3 years a man in a wheelchair has been staying there and he seems to have no problems.

CleanBiker

• Offline Offline
    • KenDry Carpet Cleaning
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 11:18:29 am »
You need to ask the right questions of the hotel in the first place.

We have been using the Marelen since 2001 and, like many other Zante hotels, it's excellent.

They have built a ramp up to reception for wheelchair users, so that's great newsl.  But from there you can have access to their minimal "supermarket/cupboard" ::)  But it's steps up to the breakfast buffet area, also to the bar and lots of steps down to the public loos.

As for access to the eating/restaurant areas from the outside/poolside, there are 3 or 4 tables at ground level, next to the pool bar, but the main eating area is up steps.

There are some ground floor rooms that are accessible from the flat paths, but many require using steps. That's right, steps to a ground floor room!

So, to precy, a hotel can have wheelchair access to the reception, poolside, pool bar/cafe and limited tables, some rooms/apartments, but you could be excluded from the main bar/lounge, main restaurant areas and have a very limited choice of rooms.

You really need to ask the right questions directly to the hotel, preferably in writing/email and any ambiguous answers would need to be clarified.

Ken

zantefunbex

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 10:02:57 pm »
Milos is a lovely place to eat very freindly and welcoming to all.  I travelled for many years with my diabaled dad and if you ask the resturants where their toilets etc are they will tell you and even offer help getting the member of your family/party in and out of the resturant.  everyone seems quick to moan about how 'rude' greek people are but they are some of the nicest people i know who still actually use their manners.  Hope this doesnt upset anyone

Daisy's studios and apartments are very nice to stay in and we had a room (in a corner and the back of the first building asd you go in the gate) that had plenty of space for the 5 of us (one in a wheelchair and for at least one year a buggy too). 

I'd advise you to ask the travel agent where they might know or if they could contact the reps out there and see what and who they know.

Jaynesuperbrain

• Offline Offline
  • Having a scooby snack!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 02:15:58 pm »
Thank you for all your responses.  This has been of great help.

I haven't been in Kalamaki for four years now so things may have changed and having stayed at various apartments/hotels myself I know how hairy those ramps can be!

Have been on a couple of cruises the past few years with my mam, but my mam's condition has deteriorated so much she is becoming more and more dependent on a wheelchair.  We've spoken about visiting Kalamaki.  As Kalamaki isn't really a party place somewhere central would be of benefit and access is imperative.  I know health and safety isn't at the forefront of any Greek establishment!

Looking at September to possibly visit. 

Thank you.

Jayne

zantefunbex

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 06:27:54 pm »
where did you decide on staying?