Author Topic: safes or safe deposit boxes  (Read 8623 times)

alex

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
Re: safes or safe deposit boxes
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 04:36:38 pm »
I wish I could find it but a few years ago there was a video on YouTube where someone had been caught on cctv walking off with a safe in a suitcase. Apparently they'd ripped the safe off the wall, put it in a suitcase in the room then casually walked off with it. He had to stop in a corridor to fasten the case fully & that was the bit caught on cctv. A bit of a double whammy for the occupant, get your safe & your suitcase nicked.
This wasn't in Zante, it was a Carribean island.
though it wasn't zante ,not very re assuring now ,but if a safe isn't safe what can you do ,I would hope a safe is safer than locking in your suitcase ,as we have in the past ,so all we can do is hope for the best ,like I say never had  a problem in our last 8 visits . :( :( :(

slapdash

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 04:59:35 pm »
As I said in a previous post,keep your money with you.I really cannot understand all the fuss over keys!!!!
Put your passport somewhere safe and that's it!!!After all I've read on this topic I'm thinking of taking a jemmy myself!...I think I described the safe deposit boxes as "glorified biscuit tins"that's exactly what they are...now that you've all announced to the villains where you stash everything they'll have a field day...I'll keep mine on me thanks ???

slapdash

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 05:56:49 pm »
"Carry your money with you".... Just about the worst thing you can do, where do you put it when at the beach etc.
"Put your passport somewhere safe" where' s that then? In the safe?
Remember that a determined thief will know all the "safe" hiding places.
Lots of hotels etc have safes in reception etc. These need 2 keys, you keep one & reception keep the master key. Some people don't like these but they're actually more secure than in the rooms.
Everyone has their own ideas but I'd have a safe everytime. I can put passports, tickets, phone etc & cash in their without having to find "safe" places in the room to hide them. As I said previously we've never had any problems yet.
Even if it cost €50 ( they're a lot less) I'd still have one just for the convenience & peace of mind. It's a bit irresponsible to say it's always been ok so it'll always be ok. I've never been run over yet but I still look both ways when I cross the road.  ::) ::)
..Alfa,as you say we are all DIFFERENT!..I for one doesn't bother with the beach too often so no problems there!!!My cash is without doubt safer with me!!!I generally leave my passport and Cherished keys lying about in my apartment,if they want them they can have them!..Cash,camera and phone with me at all times...Lots,lots safer than in room...Honest ;D

slapdash

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 06:13:24 pm »
The more I read this topic the more annoyed I get,not because of differing opinions than my own but because it is the most stupid and irresponsible topic I've ever seen!Do you all wander around your neighbourhood broadcasting what security measures you use at home?
The topic should never have been allowed to carry on...Ludicrous  ??? ::) :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 06:15:35 pm by slapdash »

alex

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 09:22:40 am »
The more I read this topic the more annoyed I get,not because of differing opinions than my own but because it is the most stupid and irresponsible topic I've ever seen!Do you all wander around your neighbourhood broadcasting what security measures you use at home?
The topic should never have been allowed to carry on...Ludicrous  ??? ::) :laugh:
if you didn't like the topic why comment? ,I asked for genuine opinions that's all ,

alex

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 10:34:47 am »
and incidently we don't use our proper names on the messageboard and there are no photos as well.  !!!!! so no not stupid. ??? ???

alex

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 12:21:19 pm »
"Carry your money with you".... Just about the worst thing you can do, where do you put it when at the beach etc.
"Put your passport somewhere safe" where' s that then? In the safe?
Remember that a determined thief will know all the "safe" hiding places.
Lots of hotels etc have safes in reception etc. These need 2 keys, you keep one & reception keep the master key. Some people don't like these but they're actually more secure than in the rooms.
Everyone has their own ideas but I'd have a safe everytime. I can put passports, tickets, phone etc & cash in their without having to find "safe" places in the room to hide them. As I said previously we've never had any problems yet.
Even if it cost 50 ( they're a lot less) I'd still have one just for the convenience & peace of mind. It's a bit irresponsible to say it's always been ok so it'll always be ok. I've never been run over yet but I still look both ways when I cross the road.  ::) ::)
sorry if you think I am irresponsible but always felt safe in tsilivi ,and to be honest we all have our opinions ,I just was just intrested to know what people thought,i am convinced now and will invest in a safe however much it costs >:( >:( >:( >:(

alex

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 12:48:48 pm »
As I said in a previous post,keep your money with you.I really cannot understand all the fuss over keys!!!!
Put your passport somewhere safe and that's it!!!After all I've read on this topic I'm thinking of taking a jemmy myself!...I think I described the safe deposit boxes as "glorified biscuit tins"that's exactly what they are...now that you've all announced to the villains where you stash everything they'll have a field day...I'll keep mine on me thanks ???
to be honest if you don't have anything useful to say don't comment please ,and I may of said I put them in my suitcase but how do they no my name what I look like and my room number ??. >:( >:(

portadelmar

• Offline Offline
  • Zante Wanderer.
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 02:27:19 pm »
I just let the wife look after all that rubbish.  :laugh:

Nope, only joking.

The places I stay at all have free safes and they are securely attached to a wall of some description.

I always keep important documents and the bulk of the cash in it.

We`ve never had a problem.

Oceanic Kevin

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • Oceanic Rock Legend T-shirts available this season
    • Oceanic Chill Out Bar
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 02:45:03 pm »
All the hotels I've stayed in have had strong safes, thick doors, 2 solid dead bars about an inch in diameter which lock the safe and mainly code entrance which you set yourself. Can't see anyone getting in to them without proper tools.

Just look for a guy carrying a hammer drill or explosives around the hotel then you know your safe isn't safe  :laugh:
If you want to chill out on your holiday to Zakynthos there's only one place to be - OCEANIC
http://zanteholiday.wix.com/-oceanicchilloutbar

alex

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 03:10:44 pm »
I just let the wife look after all that rubbish.  :laugh:

Nope, only joking.

The places I stay at all have free safes and they are securely attached to a wall of some description.

I always keep important documents and the bulk of the cash in it.

We`ve never had a problem.
your very lucky to find places with free ones,we have stayed in at least 6 differants sets of apartments/ hotels and always they charge and to be honest some over the top ,I think that's whats put us off,but this year I have decided I am going to get a safe . :) :)

alex

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 04:07:58 pm »
no you didn't offend me , I just was after peoples opinions which I have now ,and yeah your right should of booked independent really,but stayed with Thomas cook this year,to be honest I think its better to be safe than sorry  :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:15:16 pm by alex »

slapdash

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 06:49:23 pm »
Sq
All the hotels I've stayed in have had strong safes, thick doors, 2 solid dead bars about an inch in diameter which lock the safe and mainly code entrance which you set yourself. Can't see anyone getting in to them without proper tools.

Just look for a guy carrying a hammer drill or explosives around the hotel then you know your safe isn't safe  :laugh:
...I think one of the hotels you stayed in must've been at her majesties pleasure,the avarage locking bars on deposit boxes is 8mil 10 if you're very lucky.If any of you see a man with a hammer drill,then I wouldn't worry too much  god only knows how you could rob a tin box with one of them.. ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:00:23 pm by slapdash »

Oceanic Kevin

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • Oceanic Rock Legend T-shirts available this season
    • Oceanic Chill Out Bar
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 06:59:20 pm »
Sq

...I think one of the hotels you stayed in must've been the Bank of England. :laugh:the avarage locking bars on deposit boxes is 8mil 10 if you're very lucky.If any of you see a man with a hammer drill,then I wouldn't worry too much  god only knows how you could rob a tin box with one of them..

Again, its just what I have seen in the rooms I have had. Can only comment on what I've seen as not stayed in ever hotel in the world.
If you want to chill out on your holiday to Zakynthos there's only one place to be - OCEANIC
http://zanteholiday.wix.com/-oceanicchilloutbar

scooby8582

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 03:01:04 pm »
Having spent many years working in he criminal justice system I have learned that if some one wants your belongings they will get them . I met a chap who used to spend whole summers going around the Greek islands taking safe`s out of hotel rooms, and he told me that they didn't have time to search rooms for people`s hidden valuables , they just went straight in the wardrobe and took the safe !!! Having said that , a safe does offer piece of mind and does offer protection from opportunisits and the very rare bent cleaner . I myself never use a safe where ever I am and the world and that based on nothing more than being a tight bugger riding his luck  ;)