Author Topic: Are many tavernas, bars, supermarkets open in Alykanas or Alykes?  (Read 3310 times)

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
Re: Are many tavernas, bars, supermarkets open in Alykanas or Alykes?
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2020, 06:51:04 pm »
Yes, Im pleased to say I am still breathing and hopefully for a lot longer if the almighty lets me keep body and soul together. Sadly I will not be going to Alykes this year due to the Covid19 virus. Would have been bit of a gamble at my age. Next year? That depends what the situation is with this virus.  Going to really miss going this year as it gets to be part of your DNA after going there for so long. It was quite a surprise when Sonia told me that the forum was up and running again and hopefully still will be in the years ahead.

Indeed as Al said good to hear from you Dave, Morrison's has been fun these last months has it not? I know you don't know what I look like but I've seen you many times over the years just never been the right moment to approach for a chat, hopefully I'll put that right one day soon. You live in The Walronds I believe from memory, we're in Willand. Stick around my friend, there aren't many of us but it's still fun.
We're not going this year either due to the virus (I actually had a "screening" test for it today at Sandy Park ahead of a hospital appt on Thursday) but planning on switching our September flights to next year when easyJet release them on Thursday morning, will be an early start!

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2020, 09:28:42 pm »
Mari, not sure if it's still called the Pie Shack, I presume you mean the one by the river almost opposite Paradosiako?

We went in for a drink a couple of years ago and it is actually quite nice in there, a little quirky but the drinks were quite expensive.

Yes it's still called the pie shack it used to be popular many years ago and we had pie and chips there once it was expensive then aswell. This was like 2002 though but it appears to still be there just empty  :'(

Hopefully be able to give an update in a couple of months time. :)

Oooh thank you fingers crossed for you  :)

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2020, 09:39:30 pm »
Welcome back to the forum it's nice to have people coming back.

I'm not going this year either but my manager informed me she thinks it's for the best not going abroad as it I had to self isolate etc I would not be paid for my absence

Hopefully next year will be back to normal  :'(

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2020, 01:41:27 pm »
Hope so as it's been a long summer without any guaranteed sunshine to look forward to. :)

Sonia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • I love Alikanas
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2020, 06:29:56 pm »
Glad you were finally able to get back on the messageboard Dave.

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2020, 07:57:51 am »
Looks like Spikey's bar is up and running. The usual blackboards have now appeared outside, :)

Still no sign of any movement at Fidelio's as yet :(

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2020, 05:41:30 pm »
Since flights arriving from UK airports there is info ( via my husband's FB account where he is amember of Alykanas Group ) to say places are open and people are enjoying themselves at various bars and tavernas, so that is good news for all concerned. :)

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2020, 11:11:02 am »
Have heard Mantelena is open now. It is a wonderful, typically Greek taverna with immense hospitality ( like many others ) but Alkyonis won't be open this season ( it is the one next door to Busters Bar). That's sad as we would pass Alkyonis and ask Spiro to save us a table and , bless him, he would pop into Buster's where we would be having a drink to let us know our table was ready.

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2020, 11:14:57 am »
Have heard Mantelena is open now. It is a wonderful, typically Greek taverna with immense hospitality ( like many others ) but Alkyonis won't be open this season ( it is the one next door to Busters Bar). That's sad as we would pass Alkyonis and ask Spiro to save us a table and , bless him, he would pop into Buster's where we would be having a drink to let us know our table was ready.
Yes Alkyonis is certainly a major loss this Season as is the Cosy Corner. Consolation is that you can get many of the Cosy Corner’s products in it’s sister establishment called the “ROADHOUSE” at the other end of the village.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 11:16:41 am by tony welsh »

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2020, 05:13:44 pm »
Thanks Tony, that's good to know. Didn't realise Cosy Corner not open either. We go to Alykanas next month so it is going to be quite different I imagine with all that is going on due to Covid. We are looking forward to revisiting one of our favourite islands though.  :)