Author Topic: Shoestrings  (Read 10177 times)

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
Re: Shoestrings
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 08:12:34 pm »
Just having a look at today's photos on the laptop; took a couple in Shoestrings at lunchtime after a morning trip to Volimes, and noticed that I'd snapped Shortie and his wife in there (in the corner of a shot of Kefalonia) so it's even getting the local "celebs" in ;D.

Epsilon still not open :(.

Soupdragon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2017, 09:48:51 am »
Do Shoestrings ever stay open into October? Whenever we've had a wander over from Alykes they've always been closed. Looks to be in a brilliant location

Cheers.            Tom and Rose

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Online Online
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 09:57:03 am »
Since Tassos that ran Shoestrings passed on a few years ago it has had mixed fortunes and mismanagement. Since the new management this Season and the background they come from who knows you may be lucky in early October. Being in such an isolated position as you well know numbers of holidaymakers still around and of course the weather often dictates when business's shut shop for the end of Season.

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2017, 02:12:49 pm »
Do Shoestrings ever stay open into October? Whenever we've had a wander over from Alykes they've always been closed. Looks to be in a brilliant location

Angelo said to me the other day that "when we close in October" he's going on a trip to New York so it's certainly their intention to be open then, how far into October I don't know, it'll probably be dictated by their level of business. They've stopped the evening opening now because they had staff issues, Sakis (Angelo's brother) is working evenings in La Caretta but it's their definite intention to go full daytime and evening next year.
Epsilon (Redskins) still not open which is a bit odd as they have guests upstairs and sitting outside it using the wi-fi. We've been told by loads of people that they will be opening tomorrow/Monday/this week/next week/last week but I've not actually see Dimitri do get a definitive(ish) answer. Only have four more days so seems unlikely we'll get to go this year.

Soupdragon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 11:08:30 am »
Angelo said to me the other day that "when we close in October" he's going on a trip to New York so it's certainly their intention to be open then, how far into October I don't know, it'll probably be dictated by their level of business.

Excellent news, fingers crossed then  8)

Soupdragon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2017, 08:33:28 am »
Any update on how far into October they may be open? We don't get there until 12th so we'll probably be unlucky but I'll keep my fingers crossed

Cheers.          Tom and Rose

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 04:41:06 pm »
They have now made their way to number one in the TripAdvisor list for Alykanas restaurants! Brilliant achievement in only the guys second year, nine days and counting I'll congratulate them personally ;D.

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 11:40:17 am »
Don't want to keep banging on about this place but on our last day at the tail end of the season but we just came for a final lunch and there was only one table free.
Going to have to start leaving bad reviews or we won't get a seat😂.

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2020, 07:32:21 pm »
Opening on Sunday! Aggelos announced 25 minutes ago on Faceache and already has 130 "likes". Brothers have worked wonders there!

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2020, 02:32:20 pm »
Something rather lovely happening in Shoestring today. A couple of people aleady know because I messaged them that my wife died totally unexpectedly in her sleep in the early hours of Tuesday morning, very peacefully because neither my son or I heard her in any distress and she looked totally relaxed when we found her.

Anyway by coincidence her favourite brother is on the island at the moment with his kids and decided he wanted to visit our favourite place and light a candle for her. I messaged Aggelos last night and he said "I will look after Max like I am looking after you when you are here.." but then they make everyone welcome anyway. He also lit a candle for Debbie himself which has been burning all day on the bar. Today I remembered how to smile for a bit.

And it goes without saying that Max loved the place and the food and the brothers. Baby steps but I'll come through this.

Soupdragon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2020, 03:08:07 pm »
Sorry to hear of your recent loss. No kind words or gestures can ever replace someone but they're still nice to receive.
I wish more people in this country were as thoughtful as the Greeks.
As you say Mike, baby steps.

Tom and Rose

Hazy

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • Allan, Hazy, Alexie (pool Barman) Alykanas in ?
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2020, 04:00:10 pm »

So sorry to hear of your loss Mike, i am shocked. I met you & your son many years ago, you gave us a lift from Neriada to busters, we were very grateful. You will be in our thoughts, not going to be easy, take each day as it comes, Take Care.

Max Lee at Alykanas Beach 03/07/2009

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2020, 05:08:44 pm »
Sincere condolences Mike. What very sad and unexpected news. You must not only be devastated but also I imagine be very shocked at her sudden passing. Even though I don't know you personally, I really feel for your loss.

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2020, 07:23:28 pm »
Thanks everyone, still in shock really and have cancer surgery anytime now as well, so not even sure if we'll be able to do the funeral before that but officialdom is aware of the circumstances and they can keep her in the mortuary until I'm fit again if needed. But it's minimum two weeks in hosptal and then recovery time obviously. Life is ganging up on me at the moment but I have huge support so I shall overcome.