Author Topic: Overnight Tax  (Read 1704 times)

alex

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
Overnight Tax
« on: April 04, 2018, 09:33:04 am »
Just wondering people views on the greek overnight tax?? that we now have to pay on arrival at our hotels/apartments i spoke to Olympic holidays and they said that the most you would pay for 2 weeks is 21 euros .  ???

manUdave

• Offline Offline
Re: Overnight Tax
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 10:18:01 am »
That should be priced in with your holiday

alex

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 11:18:27 am »
no it seems you have to pay on arrival its nothing to do with the tour operator its to do with the greek goverment so will go to the owners of the apartments  ??? ???

manUdave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 11:41:07 am »
The Greek government as picked on easy targets to get money, holiday makers. Is that because the Greeks won't pay there tax''s?

alex

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 12:07:48 pm »
yes i guess so not surprised , really.

Rugbypost

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 05:42:12 pm »
That,s a bit like paying for a visa to enter zakynthos not sure about where we are staying booked with Booking.com so do I have to pay an extra 21 euros as well ? Not happy about this at all .

saganaki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 06:03:09 pm »
The payment would/should have been mentioned when you booked.
It is payable in cash when you arrive and depends on the type of accommodation you have as to how much it is.

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 07:25:15 pm »

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 07:44:26 pm »
It's pennies, far less than you'll be paying for aircon for example and nothing compared to holiday cost. Non-issue for me.

If you're staying self contained it's (potentially, though I know our hosts won't charge us) €7 for a fortnight, think I could cope with that.

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 09:58:32 pm »
I booked a break in Majorca next month some time ago as I had to use up my Easyjet vouchers after cancelling my Zante flights last Summer. Having not been to the Balearics for almost 40 years I just went ahead and booked accommodation with an online agent. I have since found out since booking that a tourist tax exists there and it will add considerably to my hotel price. This tax is payable directly to the hotel on arrival as the new tax in Greece wil be. I don't mind paying the new Greek apartment tax especially as mentioned above by Mike that it's only 50 cents a night for S/C apartments !!                   Balearic tourist tax article here:- https://www.abc-mallorca.com/balearic-tourist-tax-doubles/
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 10:01:45 pm by tony welsh »

alex

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 02:09:48 pm »
Greece Overnight Stay Tax

From 1 January 2018, you’ll need to pay an Overnight Stay Tax which has been introduced by the Greek Ministry of Tourism and aims to enhance the State’s revenue in the context of the current fiscal adjustment programme. This will be collected from you when you get to your accommodation.

The tax works out between 0.50 - 4 Euros per night. The amount you’ll pay will depend on the official rating of your accommodation. The specific amount will be dependent on the type of accommodation you’ve booked, as set out in the table below:

Types of Accommodation

Euros/Night of stay

Mid - High Season (01/03-31/10)

Euros/Day of stay

5 Star Hotels 4

4 Star Hotels
3 Star Hotels 1.5
1-2 Star Hotels 0.5
Apartments - all key categories 0.5

The amount you’ll pay is based on the official rating of the accommodation you have booked, according to the local Tourist Board classification. Our own accommodation rating will give you a good indication of the standard of the accommodation and is usually similar to the official rating, but there’s sometimes small differences between ratings. By using our own rating, you’ll be able to work out an approximate amount to pay.

When and how to pay:

You’ll be asked to pay the tax when you check-in at your accommodation, this can be paid by cash or card

Why do I have to pay:

The tax is something new and specifically aimed at tourists. It’s a cost beyond our control and the suppliers of the accommodation. It’s a Government imposed tax that has to be paid when you stay in accommodation in Greece. Whilst our brochure and website holiday information does mention the possibility of local taxes like this, we understand this cost is something you probably weren’t expecting to pay and are sorry the Government has decided to bring this in so quickly.

If or when we receive any further information from the Government of Greece we’ll publish details on this page.

sophia

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 12:13:24 pm »
Personally, we don't mind this tax especially as it's a small amount. With many countries now there is a cost for entering the country which hopefully will offset the additional cost to the local environment of the influx of tourists. I know we all boost the economy by spending whilst abroad but think this is a fair request. I'm unsure whether the UK will be considering something similar.

jennyp966

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 09:02:38 pm »
I really don't understand why this is such an issue, it really is pennies compared to what other countries charge. It's not even each, it's per room unlike Spain. We will be putting €20 aside for two weeks and I think we will get change but it will be worth every penny.

les

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 09:44:47 am »
I really don't see a problem. Tourist taxes have been common in loads of countries for years. I remember paying in France probably 25 years ago. It's nothing compared to the cost of a holiday & less in Greece than many countries. €7 for an apartment for 2weeks & at most €70 for a 5* resort. I've heard claims of people cancelling their holidays & changing destinations because of the tax. REALLY? are people really on such a tight budget that they can't afford, in most cases, an extra €21 on their holiday. It's not even the cost of a beer a day.
My take on the big difference between apartments & higher rated hotels is that it's aimed mainly at AI guests. All of their holiday cost is paid to "non Greek" company so very little is paid into the Greek treasury as vat etc. Most of that tax "is" paid into the country of origin.  Most AI guests spend little in the local economy so less into the treasury. With the recent rise in AI holidays the treasury must have lost a fortune in revenue.
P. S. It's not only tourists that have to pay, apparently every hotel guest pays per room, including locals.
This tax has been planned since last year & the tour operators have been negligent in not informing tourists at the time of booking. It doesn't have to be paid in cash, you're legally entitled to pay by card but the machine might be "broken". There's been tales of hotels overcharging, if in any doubt ask to see their official rating (as issued by the Greek Tourist Office, not your tour operator etc) & insist on a receipt.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:46:53 am by les »

alex

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 01:15:36 pm »
Just to say it wasnt a problem i just asked peoples opinons ,  :) :) i think we will  expect to see price increases this year , and the euro being so low doesnt help too but thats life , we go on holiday to have fun so who cares. :) :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:56:24 am by alex »