Author Topic: Life Will Smile  (Read 654 times)

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
Life Will Smile
« on: March 04, 2019, 05:50:00 pm »
I mentioned this film briefly in another thread but having done a little digging I think it deserves its own. It's a "docu-drama" about the story of the protection of the Jews of Zakynthos during WW2 (if you don't know the story it's nicely told here).

Trailer is very moving https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZUaTUxgFZI so I got in touch with the makers via their Facebook page to see if I could get hold of a copy somehow and they replied almost immediately that I'd be able to soon. It was filmed on the island and premiered there last October; looking at their official site it seems like they're going to be making a full feature film of the story in the future.

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Online Online
    • www.photobucket.com
Re: Life Will Smile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 06:08:55 pm »
I had read an article in a magazine on this subject a few years ago which really took my interest. Having an interest in general about Zakynthos I followed up the story with a little online research. Although I havenít actually been to the Jewish graveyard in Zante town where it is located I have learned the location of the tribute to the local mayor and archbishop that were so brave giving up their lives to protect the Jewish population of the island during the search for them by the Germanís. It is located near Bochali off the road leading up the hill from Zante town and I intend to go there in June, mind you I said that last year. I too will relish the chance of seeing a feature film made about this great story of survival and dedication of the Zakynthian people during the 2nd World war.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 06:16:04 pm by tony welsh »

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 12:12:26 pm »
This sounds fab would be lovely to watch it

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 06:01:59 pm »
How interesting. I had no idea of this history on the island and will definately look into it myself too.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 01:23:50 pm »
That's the one you were talking about a little while ago looks really interesting did you manage to get hold of it yet?

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 11:39:49 pm »
That's the one you were talking about a little while ago looks really interesting did you manage to get hold of it yet?

No, following their faceache page https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=life%20will%20smile&epa=SEARCH_BOX where they keep talking about a wider release so hopefully it'll happen soon.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 01:58:29 pm »

No, following their faceache page https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=life%20will%20smile&epa=SEARCH_BOX where they keep talking about a wider release so hopefully it'll happen soon.

Hopefully it should be interesting

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 03:08:22 pm »
From their Facebook page a couple of days ago, I had no idea the Mayor's wife was still living until two weeks ago!

"On July 24th 2019, Lilly Karrer, Mayor Karrer's wife, left us peacefully at the age of 100. Surrounded by love, like she has been all her life.
She was such a courageous woman, full of love, energy, kindness and compassion in her heart - until her last breath.
Those of us who had the privilege of spending some time with her know that her light will keep shining bright. Through the lives of her daughter, grandchildren and great-grandchildren but also through the thousands of Zakynthian Jews alive today. Generations of people are alive and thriving because of her and her husband's brave actions.
"A life well-lived" in her case would be a gross understatement. Her memory will undoubtedly live forever.
Thank you, Mrs. Karrer. Thank you."

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LifeWillSmile/posts/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 03:10:24 pm by Mike »

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 11:04:09 am »
Oh wow Mike she had a good innings bless bless her what is the Facebook page called??

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 03:48:40 pm »
Oh wow Mike she had a good innings bless bless her what is the Facebook page called??

Simply "Life will smile" :).

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 05:10:20 pm »

Simply "Life will smile" :).

I worked it out after I typed silly me  :)