Author Topic: Tribute acts  (Read 619 times)

mari

• Offline Offline
Tribute acts
« on: March 18, 2019, 09:05:43 am »
Has anyone seen any good tribute acts on holiday? I really enjoyed Phil Collins at the mill bar. That seems to be the main place that has tribute acts.

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
Re: Tribute acts
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 01:11:19 pm »
I'd rather eat my own toenails than watch any tribute act.

corky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 08:16:00 am »
Arghhhhhhhhhhhh...tribute acts...only thing worst is Karaoke.....just a peaceful evening good food few drinks watching the sun go down and the waves lapping the sands.

mari

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 04:50:56 pm »
Arghhhhhhhhhhhh...tribute acts...only thing worst is Karaoke.....just a peaceful evening good food few drinks watching the sun go down and the waves lapping the sands.

I did enjoy the Phil one at mill bar but that's the only one I remember going to. I do like a bit of music in background though.

mari

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 04:58:10 pm »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Rab B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 12:19:30 pm »
Iris bar has a few of these nights, saw Robbie Williams last year, great night ,great laugh and fantastic cocktails

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 03:09:41 pm »

I just dislike the concept of them (think it all started with Bjorn Again doing Abba), but I was brought up and was watching live bands when it was a lot easier and cheaper to do. Back then the bands made their money from record sales so playing live was a means to get their music out there so people would go to record shops and buy their albums so ticket prices were reasonable (eg I saw Eric Clapton supported by blues legend Muddy Waters for 3).

Nowadays it's all reversed, listening to any music you want is effectively "free" on any number of platforms so the artists make their money by touring; hence stupidly priced tickets so the "real bands" are less accessible, and if you do see them they're likely to be a speck in the distance at a football stadium. So I can see why tribute bands exist to kind of fill the gap but I wouldn't watch one, no criticism at all to those who enjoy them. I'm just glad I was born when I was :).

mari

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 03:49:55 pm »

I just dislike the concept of them (think it all started with Bjorn Again doing Abba), but I was brought up and was watching live bands when it was a lot easier and cheaper to do. Back then the bands made their money from record sales so playing live was a means to get their music out there so people would go to record shops and buy their albums so ticket prices were reasonable (eg I saw Eric Clapton supported by blues legend Muddy Waters for 3).

Nowadays it's all reversed, listening to any music you want is effectively "free" on any number of platforms so the artists make their money by touring; hence stupidly priced tickets so the "real bands" are less accessible, and if you do see them they're likely to be a speck in the distance at a football stadium. So I can see why tribute bands exist to kind of fill the gap but I wouldn't watch one, no criticism at all to those who enjoy them. I'm just glad I was born when I was :).

Yes It can be so expensive now and you're right you barely get a view of the act. I'm glad alykes/alykanas don't have loads on but the mill bar is nice for a change of scene one evening and Phil does sound like Phil. I'm just happy chilling out most of the time like bars where you don't get loads of hassle.

mari

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 03:51:00 pm »
Iris bar has a few of these nights, saw Robbie Williams last year, great night ,great laugh and fantastic cocktails

I'm staying near there this year so will give it a try  :D

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 07:35:09 pm »
Yes It can be so expensive now and you're right you barely get a view of the act. I'm glad alykes/alykanas don't have loads on but the mill bar is nice for a change of scene one evening and Phil does sound like Phil. I'm just happy chilling out most of the time like bars where you don't get loads of hassle.

I think it's a shame when talented musicians use their skills to impersonate, even though as it's become lucrative you can't blame them. I play the guitar at a very average level but can strum along quite happily copying what others have composed, wouldn't feel right doing it in public though. Have a nephew who is a supremely talented musician and it'd break my heart if he ever went down the tribute route rather than doing his own thing. "Wedding" type bands who put their own slant on classic tracks is a different thing though, they're putting their own versions out rather than trying to copy; have a couple of friends who do that and make a few quid to add to the day job so I have no problem with that. If I practised a bit more I might even join them ;D. No better feeling (actually I can think of one) than being on stage and people loving what you're doing, though it's been a few decades since I was in that place :(.

portadelmar

• Offline Offline
  • Zante Wanderer.
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 12:32:01 pm »
There used to be an Elvis tribute guy in Tsilivi. He had a dinky smart car with Elvis livery. Wonder if he's still around.

mari

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 04:18:50 pm »

I think it's a shame when talented musicians use their skills to impersonate, even though as it's become lucrative you can't blame them. I play the guitar at a very average level but can strum along quite happily copying what others have composed, wouldn't feel right doing it in public though. Have a nephew who is a supremely talented musician and it'd break my heart if he ever went down the tribute route rather than doing his own thing. "Wedding" type bands who put their own slant on classic tracks is a different thing though, they're putting their own versions out rather than trying to copy; have a couple of friends who do that and make a few quid to add to the day job so I have no problem with that. If I practised a bit more I might even join them ;D. No better feeling (actually I can think of one) than being on stage and people loving what you're doing, though it's been a few decades since I was in that place :(.

Yes that is a shame if they are talented themselves they should so their own thing, to be fair a lot of tributes don't even sound like the person they are impersonating.
Lol yes and I'm sure alcohol helps people get in the spirit
Turkey seem to have a bigger variety of acts I've seen acts from bgt performing there which was nice