Author Topic: First meal in your holiday?  (Read 830 times)

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
Re: First meal in your holiday?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 02:00:11 pm »
Not sure if I've been there must try. Did there used to be a restaurant called Olympic nearby?

Olympic used to be on the main road, on the side between Denis Bikes and the Sugarbush bar

Was a bit special too, great shame it closed.

mari

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 02:46:16 pm »
Not sure if I've been there must try. Did there used to be a restaurant called Olympic nearby?

Olympic used to be on the main road, on the side between Denis Bikes and the Sugarbush bar

Loved it there

mari

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 02:46:56 pm »

Was a bit special too, great shame it closed.

Yes it was nice shame it's gone

TONY(DODGY)

• Manche führen manche folgen
  • YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • Before you feed yourself, feed your soul.
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 03:41:59 pm »
Always Paolos Corner ... Starter, Saganaki and the main is the Liver Panful.... Oh and a couple of bottles of Alfa.
I am really a nice person, eccentric bordering on the mad.

mari

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 08:43:11 pm »
Always Paolos Corner ... Starter, Saganaki and the main is the Liver Panful.... Oh and a couple of bottles of Alfa.

Love prawn sagnaki sometimes it comes as a starter sometimes as a main it's so yummy  :)

corky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 08:19:54 am »
Mantalena in Alykanas, proper Greek cooking, One of the oldest in the village established in 1978. Lovely family who run it, we have been here many times over the past 21 years never disappoints.

mari

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 05:07:29 pm »
Mantalena in Alykanas, proper Greek cooking, One of the oldest in the village established in 1978. Lovely family who run it, we have been here many times over the past 21 years never disappoints.

Don't think I've been here is this the one that someone died and then didn't open for a while? 

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2019, 09:03:47 pm »

Don't think I've been here is this the one that someone died and then didn't open for a while?

No that's most likely Shoestring you're thinking of, Mantalena has been open every year since we've been going (2004) though we've never been in. I know it's probably (almost certainly) the oldest establishment in the village due to the photos from the eighties that the sadly late Gordon (member on here) made public some years ago. "New" Alykanas was never a village, it was just a thinly populated area that has gradually grown over the years to cater for tourists.

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2019, 07:12:00 am »

No that's most likely Shoestring you're thinking of, Mantalena has been open every year since we've been going (2004) though we've never been in. I know it's probably (almost certainly) the oldest establishment in the village due to the photos from the eighties that the sadly late Gordon (member on here) made public some years ago. "New" Alykanas was never a village, it was just a thinly populated area that has gradually grown over the years to cater for tourists.

Going off track here. Your post reminded me Mike. Links to some old pics that are still about

https://www.shortieweb.com/alykanas1987.htm        (Use your Zoom + on your browser to read the copy)

http://www.alykes.com/en-history.php

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 08:58:21 am by Al »

mari

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2019, 03:15:17 pm »

No it was a restaurant in the main bit yellow looking with music notes I think there was a family death and it was closed a while I'll have to look when I go can't remember