Author Topic: The holiday season approaches .....  (Read 2097 times)

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
Re: The holiday season approaches .....
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 01:48:07 pm »
Due to leave Bristol at 6.55 tomorrow morning. Alarm set for 1.45 and suitcases already in the car, cab being sent to meet us by accommodation owners ;D.

Just don't want my phone to "beep" a notification telling me flight cancelled as happened a couple of years back, any texts I get now will be heart attack material!
We’ll be doing the same Mike in exactly 2 weeks to the day and on the same flight too, I know you’re in the air right now but enjoy your hols mate  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) !!

Fully intend to Tony but landed on time.....in the rain :o. Never mind, forecast is looking good; had lunch in Shoestring (under cover) and going to walk into the village shortly to acquire some wheels. Wife forgot to pack my waterproofs dammit (actually it's only a bit of drizzle).

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 01:49:57 pm »
No beep this year, safely at the airport..... but I did, in my dozy state, miss the motorway turn off and have to go to the next one and turn round ???. Wife unimpressed but it only cost us fifteen minutes so no problem. Done the journey hundreds of times, ridiculous!

Lol well no harm done have a fab time and enjoy the hammock  :)

Thanks mari but not hammock weather just yet sadly :(.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 09:06:41 pm »
No beep this year, safely at the airport..... but I did, in my dozy state, miss the motorway turn off and have to go to the next one and turn round ???. Wife unimpressed but it only cost us fifteen minutes so no problem. Done the journey hundreds of times, ridiculous!

Lol well no harm done have a fab time and enjoy the hammock  :)

Just read going to get much warmer so fingers crossed  :)

Thanks mari but not hammock weather just yet sadly :(.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 09:08:11 pm »
Due to leave Bristol at 6.55 tomorrow morning. Alarm set for 1.45 and suitcases already in the car, cab being sent to meet us by accommodation owners ;D.

Just don't want my phone to "beep" a notification telling me flight cancelled as happened a couple of years back, any texts I get now will be heart attack material!
We’ll be doing the same Mike in exactly 2 weeks to the day and on the same flight too, I know you’re in the air right now but enjoy your hols mate  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) !!

Shoestrings is amazing in any weather. Wewther will be better and beats being in uk

Fully intend to Tony but landed on time.....in the rain :o. Never mind, forecast is looking good; had lunch in Shoestring (under cover) and going to walk into the village shortly to acquire some wheels. Wife forgot to pack my waterproofs dammit (actually it's only a bit of drizzle).

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 05:05:40 pm »
Been a lovely day today, constant blue sky and no hint of the wet stuff.....apart from the beer ;D. Had four Mythos (so far) today and three have been "on the house", how can you not love this place?

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 09:49:09 pm »
Been a lovely day today, constant blue sky and no hint of the wet stuff.....apart from the beer ;D. Had four Mythos (so far) today and three have been "on the house", how can you not love this place?

Wow sounds amazing and on the house you can't grumble  :laugh:

Having recently got back from the Caribbean I can say Zante still has my heart  :)

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 05:44:43 pm »
Saw the biggest snake I've ever come across over here today (four or five feet) on the road from Katastari to Alykes; only two previous times I've seen them I ran over one on a scooter (couldn't avoid it, turned round to see if I'd killed it but it had gone so hopefully not) and a couple of years back when I was walking and saw one run over and definitely killed by a car. This one was slowly crossing the road so we stopped and luckily nobody came in the opposite direction before it made the undergrowth again, they're no deadly so no big worry but can give a nasty bite if threatened.

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2019, 09:22:13 pm »
Not seen one as big as that on the island but did see a four lined snake on my walk last week about 2 1/2 feet long as I rounded the corner up on the path that runs across the hill behind Alykes/ Alykanas. Slithering across the path in front of me. Always makes me feel a little uneasy, but stopped to just let it go on it's way so I can go on mine.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 01:47:05 pm by Al »
Every day is an opportunity to get ready for more of the same

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2019, 10:06:17 pm »
Saw the biggest snake I've ever come across over here today (four or five feet) on the road from Katastari to Alykes; only two previous times I've seen them I ran over one on a scooter (couldn't avoid it, turned round to see if I'd killed it but it had gone so hopefully not) and a couple of years back when I was walking and saw one run over and definitely killed by a car. This one was slowly crossing the road so we stopped and luckily nobody came in the opposite direction before it made the undergrowth again, they're no deadly so no big worry but can give a nasty bite if threatened.

Someone posted one on Facebook looks like they coming closer I'm so scared  :'(

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2019, 10:24:58 am »

They won't bother you if you happen to see one (which is very unlikely unless you go off the beaten track a lot). As I said I've seen three in fifteen years of coming, the one I saw on foot a couple of years back was just crossing the road very near Shoestring minding its own business but an oncoming car squished it. Shame.

"Zakynthos also has several species of snakes, none of which are dangerous (although you may need antihistamine if bitten). Those most frequently seen are the four-line snake and the Montpellier, both of which can be spotted on most walks on Zakynthos. Here again, the ancient olive trees are an ideal site for four-line snakes: they take advantage of branches with holes, to get a good look at passing walkers!"

https://sunflowerbooks.co.uk/zakynthos-zante-ideal-location-spotting-reptiles/

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2019, 04:54:36 pm »

They won't bother you if you happen to see one (which is very unlikely unless you go off the beaten track a lot). As I said I've seen three in fifteen years of coming, the one I saw on foot a couple of years back was just crossing the road very near Shoestring minding its own business but an oncoming car squished it. Shame.

"Zakynthos also has several species of snakes, none of which are dangerous (although you may need
antihistamine if bitten). Those most frequently seen are the four-line snake and the Montpellier, both of which can be spotted on most walks on Zakynthos. Here again, the ancient olive trees are an ideal site for four-line snakes: they take advantage of branches with holes, to get a good look at passing walkers!"

Ok just hope they aren't coming too close into resort I guess they may be more sacred of us  :'(

https://sunflowerbooks.co.uk/zakynthos-zante-ideal-location-spotting-reptiles/

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2019, 01:29:42 pm »
Wedding at Shoestring today so officially "closed" while they prepare, but they said to me yesterday no problem if I want to go for a couple before it starts so I did ;D. Apologised that there may be music until midnight but said if i/we wanted to go down after the guests had finished eating (around 8.00) no problem, but we won't, don't want to intrude on a reception. Guests beginning to arrive in their finery by horse and cart and cab just now. Not a cloud in the sky, perfect spot so hope they have a lovely day (as long as they don't keep me awake too late ;))

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2019, 02:30:26 pm »
Wedding at Shoestring today so officially "closed" while they prepare, but they said to me yesterday no problem if I want to go for a couple before it starts so I did ;D. Apologised that there may be music until midnight but said if i/we wanted to go down after the guests had finished eating (around 8.00) no problem, but we won't, don't want to intrude on a reception. Guests beginning to arrive in their finery by horse and cart and cab just now. Not a cloud in the sky, perfect spot so hope they have a lovely day (as long as they don't keep me awake too late ;))

Saw someone post of Facebook were getting married at shoestrings .... Wonderful location. Same happened at mill bar had to leave for a wedding nice if them to invite you still fro drinks though  :)

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2019, 01:36:45 pm »
There's a new tattoo place in Alykanas now, just on the edge of the village on the way to Alykes, really can't see it being a success. Laganas yes but Alykanas? Don't think so.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2019, 01:45:22 pm »
There's a new tattoo place in Alykanas now, just on the edge of the village on the way to Alykes, really can't see it being a success. Laganas yes but Alykanas? Don't think so.

Gosh me neither but I guess alykanas is getting more popular