Author Topic: Enjoying yourself Mike?  (Read 836 times)

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
Re: Enjoying yourself Mike?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 04:27:46 pm »
Devastating news at the hospital yesterday with secondary cancer in my pelvis. Good news was I could go on holiday today and Iím now sat on my balcony in Alykanas dripping all over my iPad with the sun blazing in my face, life must go on as normal for now relishing every minute I can whilst I still can.

Soupdragon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 06:15:29 pm »
Sorry to hear the bad news Tony. I know that secondary cancer is treatable but depends on where, how quickly it got there and if it's moved to any other locations. Although I'm sure you already know that.

Finger crossed for you and enjoy your holiday, although it may not be as easy as with previous times.

Keep positive  :)

Cheers.        Tom and Rose

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 06:25:17 pm »
Devastating news at the hospital yesterday with secondary cancer in my pelvis. Good news was I could go on holiday today and Iím now sat on my balcony in Alykanas dripping all over my iPad with the sun blazing in my face, life must go on as normal for now relishing every minute I can whilst I still can.

So sorry to hear that Tony, but so glad you managed to get on your holiday. Hope you get good weather and you and your partner have a relaxing time.

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 12:39:50 pm »

So sorry to hear that Tony, feel for you but very happy you still managed to get here; I'll keep an eye out for you (assuming that your TA pic is really you). Are you here for two weeks? If so we'll be on the same flight home so I'll definitely collar you in the airport. Hope you have a brilliant time and manage to put your worries aside for your time here; big hug for your wife too, I think our loved ones often suffer more than we do as patients.

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2019, 04:58:26 pm »
Yes 2 weeks, picked our daughter and family up this morning who have joined us for a long weekend break. Yes thatís me on T/A with a very large rounded frame  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2019, 05:12:33 pm »
Yes 2 weeks, picked our daughter and family up this morning who have joined us for a long weekend break. Yes thatís me on T/A with a very large rounded frame  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Our youngest coming out to join us next Wednesday for our last week Tony so I'll be doing the same; had a drink/chat with Andi in Grapevines yesterday as that was our first accommodation back in 2004. He was eight then and spent hour after hour floating around the pool on a lilo, loved it, no need for kids clubs and suchlike, nostalgia eh, where does the time go? This time around he'll be 23 the day before he flies out but still wants to come back, the Laganas "lads" holiday never held any attraction for him thank goodness. See you at the airport/on the plane if not before :).

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2019, 08:08:22 am »
Sorry to hear your news Tony. Must have been very difficult to hear. Hope there will be positive news about the treatment available. Enjoy your break in the lovely Zakynthos sunshine.

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 11:52:08 am »
Next year booked this morning 😀. September this time to give the sea more time to warm up, it's still cold despite very warm out of it. Also invited to a local religious thing tomorrow morning, traditional thing around the tiny church (blink and you miss it) just down from the village shop, not the bigger one near the lemon tree. Could be fun, nice to be asked anyway!!

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 03:14:31 pm »
Next year booked this morning 😀. September this time to give the sea more time to warm up, it's still cold despite very warm out of it. Also invited to a local religious thing tomorrow morning, traditional thing around the tiny church (blink and you miss it) just down from the village shop, not the bigger one near the lemon tree. Could be fun, nice to be asked anyway!!

That should be nice. Let us know how it goes.

Yes will probably be warmer then you are organised I'm not allowed to book holidays so far ahead unfortunately. You going same place next year?

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 03:43:42 pm »

Yes will probably be warmer then you are organised I'm not allowed to book holidays so far ahead unfortunately. You going same place next year?

For sure mari, the way we "do" our holidays isn't for everyone by any means; my wife in particular values privacy so we don't get into the late night bar stuff that most enjoy (nothing wrong with that) and get to know loads of people though we have made a few friends over the years. We're happy to eat early, go "home" by 8/9.00 and spend time on the balcony, terrace this year. Works for us and this year has been perfection with complete solitude virtually every evening. Maybe one day when the pennies are shorter we'll revert to "standard Greek" but this place has set a new standard which will be hard to give up; it's brilliant for us and doesn't cost much more than a Travelodge per night in reality, though we have so much more :).

Know it's not for everybody and completely understand that people get great enjoyment out of having a place to just wash and sleep
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 04:52:27 pm by Mike »

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 05:07:12 pm »

For sure mari, the way we "do" our holidays isn't for everyone by any means; my wife in particular values privacy so we don't get into the late night bar stuff that most enjoy (nothing wrong with that) and get to know loads of people though we have made a few friends over the years. We're happy to eat early, go "home" by 8/9.00 and spend time on the balcony, terrace this year. Works for us and this year has been perfection with complete solitude virtually every evening. Maybe one day when the pennies are shorter we'll revert to "standard Greek" but this place has set a new standard which will be hard to give up; it's brilliant for us and doesn't cost much more than a Travelodge per night in reality, though we have so much more :).

Know it's not for everybody and completely understand that people get great enjoyment out of having a place to just wash and sleep

It sounds wonderful and sometimes I agree it's nice to just chill on your balcony. I like to go out but one particular bar last year didn't like us sitting on a table and moved us to the bar to sit with them but all we wanted to do was chat and chill together it was not for us.

I think if you spend more on a place like you have you should enjoy it and from what you probably save sitting in bars etc worth it. Sounds like you've had a great holiday.

Life is too short that's for sure so enjoy yourselves and do what you want to do.

P.s hope your son had a good time  :)

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 05:52:09 pm »
It sounds wonderful and sometimes I agree it's nice to just chill on your balcony. I like to go out but one particular bar last year didn't like us sitting on a table and moved us to the bar to sit with them but all we wanted to do was chat and chill together it was not for us.

I think if you spend more on a place like you have you should enjoy it and from what you probably save sitting in bars etc worth it. Sounds like you've had a great holiday.

Life is too short that's for sure so enjoy yourselves and do what you want to do.

Thanks mari, he's had a great time but the fact is he eats for England (not remotely overweight as he exercises regularly) so we keep having to stop and feed him or he gets grouchy. Price worth paying, unless I decide otherwise when I see my credit card bills when we get home ???.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2019, 08:31:54 pm »

Thanks mari, he's had a great time but the fact is he eats for England (not remotely overweight as he exercises regularly) so we keep having to stop and feed him or he gets grouchy. Price worth paying, unless I decide otherwise when I see my credit card bills when we get home ???.

Sounds like my brother  :laugh:. Ah bet you enjoyed having him there hope he enjoyed seeing grapevines  :)

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #28 on: Today at 09:22:26 am »

Just got back, it was the anniversary of the opening of the church. Tiny so people taking it in turns to go in while priest and elders chanted prayers and everyone else gathered outside with people cooking sweets and passing out cake. Then a lap of the village behind priest./incense/icon; the whole route had olive branches spread over the ground, back to the church and more eating. Had no idea what was going on most of the time but our host's fourteen year old speaks petty good English so she fed me bits of info, quite moving and they were very welcoming as I was the only non-local present :). Memorable.