Author Topic: Is alykes/alykanas too touristy?  (Read 303 times)

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
Is alykes/alykanas too touristy?
« on: June 03, 2019, 03:15:29 pm »
Someone is worried this is the case in Facebook as they usually go to the real Greece? I have probably only been to these type of places in Greece what do you guys think?

shreddie-eddie

• Offline Offline
Re: Is alykes/alykanas too touristy?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 04:48:07 pm »
The thing that originally attracted us to the two villages was the lack of Karaoke bars and tribute acts,just an old fashioned quaintness,built around good food and conversation and banter in the bars and restaurants,that`s still there but the markets changing and the Greeks will give the punters what they want,but hey-ho,times change I suppose.It looks like  there`s a market for them now and we will just move with the times.

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 05:15:42 pm »
Someone is worried this is the case in Facebook as they usually go to the real Greece? I have probably only been to these type of places in Greece what do you guys think?

I think it's as real as you make it personally, most want the type of Greece that Eddie describes and so that's how the locals do it. There are still ways of experiencing "real" Greece virtually all the time though, go for a walk or get some wheels and head into the hills or (as we do) stay in the old village. Been here twelve days now and have had exactly one evening meal in the "new" part, though have visited several bars during the day. I'm sure there are other places where you can feel engaged in a proper Greek village rather than a resort. Not for a moment putting down the resorts, they exist because of public demand and if everyone wanted solitude and quiet then it'd obviously be self defeating and not exist.

Zakynthos Town is also very "real" apart from the horrific road trains running up and down every so often, I've made my views on them very clear in the past so won't go there again.

To sum up, I think A/A is the most authentic of the main resorts with Kalamaki, Argassi, Tsilivi and Laganas behind them in that order. I'm sure Vasilikos has some "trad" gems but I don't know the area well enough to comment.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 06:14:11 pm »

I think it's as real as you make it personally, most want the type of Greece that Eddie describes and so that's how the locals do it. There are still ways of experiencing "real" Greece virtually all the time though, go for a walk or get some wheels and head into the hills or (as we do) stay in the old village. Been here twelve days now and have had exactly one evening meal in the "new" part, though have visited several bars during the day. I'm sure there are other places where you can feel engaged in a proper Greek village rather than a resort. Not for a moment putting down the resorts, they exist because of public demand and if everyone wanted solitude and quiet then it'd obviously be self defeating and not exist.

Zakynthos Town is also very "real" apart from the horrific road trains running up and down every so often, I've made my views on them very clear in the past so won't go there again.

To sum up, I think A/A is the most authentic of the main resorts with Kalamaki, Argassi, Tsilivi and Laganas behind them in that order. I'm sure Vasilikos has some "trad" gems but I don't know the area well enough to comment.

i do think alykes/alykanas are changing all the time. I'd never go in August again it was just too busy for us with being school holidays I guess. I think hiring a car is a must if you do want to see the real Greece. We do not like the loud bars prefer a quiet drink where we can talk. Tslivii has become too tourist now I think. I've never seen the road trains but not been to Zante town often.

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 05:23:38 pm »
I think to experience everyday Greek life you don't necessarily need to go off the beaten track. A few years ago we caught a bus to Zakynthos town and whilst meandering around the various side streets and alleys came across the most traditional of tavernas. It was fairly late on and they had finished cooking what was available on the menu but encouraged us to sit and have the meal they were cooking for their family which as well as being very hospitable was absolutely authentic and delicious. No, I can't remeber the name of the taverna nor the street it was in but will always remember how we felt that night. The real Greece is everywhere :)

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 07:15:04 pm »
I think to experience everyday Greek life you don't necessarily need to go off the beaten track. A few years ago we caught a bus to Zakynthos town and whilst meandering around the various side streets and alleys came across the most traditional of tavernas. It was fairly late on and they had finished cooking what was available on the menu but encouraged us to sit and have the meal they were cooking for their family which as well as being very hospitable was absolutely authentic and delicious. No, I can't remeber the name of the taverna nor the street it was in but will always remember how we felt that night. The real Greece is everywhere :)

Wouldn't disagree with that. We spent a night last year at the Strada Marina for that very purpose and had a meal and drinks until stupid o'clock at several places without a tourist in sight, head paid a heavy price in the morning but it was a memorable experience.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 08:14:21 pm »
Ah that sounds so special and an experience you won't forget that's lovely  :)