Author Topic: Hotel night before  (Read 772 times)

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
Hotel night before
« on: June 03, 2019, 03:28:49 pm »
We've changed our minds .... Hotel booked for night before. Live near m1 but it's often closed so we are staying nearer airport  :) a couple hours more sleep  :)

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
Re: Hotel night before
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 05:28:23 pm »
We've changed our minds .... Hotel booked for night before. Live near m1 but it's often closed so we are staying nearer airport  :) a couple hours more sleep  :)

Anything for more sleep/peace of mind/convenience mari, we've done that several times 'specially when travelling from Gatwick. I'm terrified that one day the car will break down on the way to the airport. Some years ago we were on our way home from Gatwick, car started overheating and the radiator gave out so we got home on a breakdown truck; so lucky it didn't happen on our way there, neighbours were very amused. Added to our good fortune was the fact that I'd neglected to renew breakdown cover and that was the last day we had it, a day later we'd have been faced with a huge bill!

portadelmar

• Offline Offline
  • Zante Wanderer.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 05:48:51 pm »
We've only done it once and it was about five years ago. The last time we flew from Gatwick as it happens. The car was showing its age, the roads were dreadful and it was a good deal. It was called Stanhill Court, only ten minutes from Gatwick. It was about 110 for a room for the night in what was a converted stately home and one months parking included. It would have cost more at the BCP for a month. No trainer really. They don't do sleep park fly any longer but we only travel from local airports now, it's too much hassle driving 200 miles and hoping you can get there in time.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 05:59:46 pm »
That sounds good yes it's too risky if there's an accident. We've paid around 60 for our hotel but it's gone up today to 90. So a good deal. We are flying from east mids.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 06:01:36 pm »

Anything for more sleep/peace of mind/convenience mari, we've done that several times 'specially when travelling from Gatwick. I'm terrified that one day the car will break down on the way to the airport. Some years ago we were on our way home from Gatwick, car started overheating and the radiator gave out so we got home on a breakdown truck; so lucky it didn't happen on our way there, neighbours were very amused. Added to our good fortune was the fact that I'd neglected to renew breakdown cover and that was the last day we had it, a day later we'd have been faced with a huge bill!

Wow that was lucky very lucky .... I would prefer to stay in comfort of my own home etc but too many things could go wrong

mattydj

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 01:23:28 pm »
We always fly out of Manchester at Zero o'cclock in the morning, so travel across the previous afternoon on the train (having free rail travel after 36 years on the railway helps.), make use of Thomas Cook's day before check in to dump the cases, and toodle off to the Crowne Plaza for the night.

Always have a room service dinner and crash out about 9pm with the alarm set for around 3am.

My wife has mobility issues currently, so we prebook assistance at the airport and we also get priority security clearance and boarding.   No luggage to bother with, just hand bags.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 06:23:00 pm »
We always fly out of Manchester at Zero o'cclock in the morning, so travel across the previous afternoon on the train (having free rail travel after 36 years on the railway helps.), make use of Thomas Cook's day before check in to dump the cases, and toodle off to the Crowne Plaza for the night.

Always have a room service dinner and crash out about 9pm with the alarm set for around 3am.

My wife has mobility issues currently, so we prebook assistance at the airport and we also get priority security clearance and boarding.   No luggage to bother with, just hand bags.

That sounds nice and organised Matty and good idea particularly if you get free travel on trains  :)

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 11:56:24 am »
Good idea plus it feels like your holiday has started then. We sometimes book night before if it's a good stay, park & fly deal. It also takes the worry away from possible break downs, road works, diversions etc. Even though I find it difficult to sleep the night before our flight when staying at a hotel, at least we're closer to the airport.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 02:56:43 pm »
Good idea plus it feels like your holiday has started then. We sometimes book night before if it's a good stay, park & fly deal. It also takes the worry away from possible break downs, road works, diversions etc. Even though I find it difficult to sleep the night before our flight when staying at a hotel, at least we're closer to the airport.

Two people died near where I live on the m1 yesterday  :'( there are so many accidents etc and it just makes sense to stay closer and can chill out for a bit. It won't really be a full night the flight is at 5.40 am but I'm used to working 24hr clock so a bit easier for me