Author Topic: Whinging holidaymakers  (Read 403 times)

TONY(DODGY)

• Manche führen manche folgen
  • YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • Before you feed yourself, feed your soul.
Whinging holidaymakers
« on: July 08, 2019, 06:06:58 am »
Does anyone else feel like slapping some holiday makers when they whinge about things on holiday. The one that winds me up the most when they come out and say .... Oh god its far to hot for me.
I am really a nice person, eccentric bordering on the mad.

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
Re: Whinging holidaymakers
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 02:46:01 pm »
Does anyone else feel like slapping some holiday makers when they whinge about things on holiday. The one that winds me up the most when they come out and say .... Oh god its far to hot for me.

The one occasion this year where wife and I got very wound up by whingers was one lunchtime up at Vrahos in Agia Marina (go if you never have, superb views/food/drink, went three times this year) and there were two couples sat at the next table to us talking in very raised voices about the current political situation in the UK, Tory leadership/Corbyn/Brexit etc and they were extremely firmly on one side, won't say which because I don't want to go there on here, but enough to say that their views were totally the opposite of ours. We just sat down and ordered a drink and we sat there in silence for twenty minutes while I was praying my wife wouldn't self-combust and I was trying to hold my tongue. We left.

Now obviously I have no problem with people having differing views on this from me and I don't mind them talking about it, and in fact I actively take part in debate on the situation whenever possible. But do I want to hear people shouting their mouths off in a beautiful taverna which has always been a haven of peace and tranquillity? No.

Aside about Agia Marina that I posted some years back but in case you missed it..

"The church at Agia Marina was built in 1855 – overtop of an old temple that dated back to 1643. The church survived the earthquake of 1953 but the bell tower suffered serious damage. It has since been rebuilt using as much of the original material as possible.

From the courtyard of the church in Agia Marina you can see the old village school as well as the small square cell in which the locals used to lock up the insane from all parts of the island.

Old villagers recall that at times there were so many insane, they could not fit them in the cell and had to tie them to the trees in the church courtyard. Inside the cell you can still see the heavy iron chain that was used to tie up the prisoners. It was hoped that keeping the insane so close to the church might lead to cures by the saint Agia Marina."

Couple of pictures I posted on the second page back here http://www.zante.me.uk/forum/index.php?topic=20268.0
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 02:47:55 pm by Mike »

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 03:58:14 pm »
Is the old man with the brilliant white teeth and straw hat still about in the Vrahos Taverna Mike. When we first found this place some years ago just by blind driving (as we call it) we were attracted to the sign outside stating “WE MAKE THE BEST OMLETTES ON THE IRELAND” (yes spelt IRELAND too l.o.l.) It was mid-morning and we hadn’t had breakfast so we stopped and ate there. Looking over the edge of the concrete slab dining area cast onto the hillside there there were chickens running about everywhere and that’s where the eggs for our omlettes obviously came from. Our special omlettes came packed with fresh peppers, mushrooms, onion, etc they were delicious especially served in such a setting. When we last went across there about 3 years ago the place had been spruced up with new signage and a coat of paint which for me had taken the old rustic feel of the place away. The young guy that served our drinks to us then was obviously the old gent I’ve mentioned son and I asked him if his dad was still about. Sure enough he was out the back of the kitchen working away but I didn’t see his wife who had thick glasses and a mop of hair. I do hope he’s still going strong and his wife too !!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:01:17 pm by tony welsh »

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 05:05:50 pm »
Only saw him the once this time Tony and that was on our last visit, he was sat in the car park flashing his pearly whites, very amiable old guy. Didn't see his wife but she may have been in the kitchen. I found it the same way you did, was just driving "up" as far as my nerves would take me (being terrified of heights) and stumbled on it. I had a little wander up the road on that occasion and decided against driving any further, it appeared to open up a bit with a slight drop appearing on the right that I feared would become worse. Still never been past it :(.

Love sitting there looking out over a huge part of the island though and watching the planes come in and out, they look like toys.