Author Topic: Bringing stuff home  (Read 448 times)

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
Bringing stuff home
« on: July 13, 2019, 12:08:43 pm »
Am I ok to bring oil and the herbs and seeds home for cooking?
Remember new laws with oil?

Thanks

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
Re: Bringing stuff home
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 01:10:38 pm »
Am I ok to bring oil and the herbs and seeds home for cooking?
Remember new laws with oil?

Thanks

We always do, had a bit of an issue many years back when you could still take liquid in hand baggage over a big can of olive oil but nothing since; and as they sell olive oil in duty free anyway I don't see a problem.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 01:42:27 pm »
Thanks mike want to get some bits

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 08:05:07 am »
Olive oil is OK from within the EU. Make sure you put it in your checked luggage of course and I would suggest you don't bring any local stuff in dodgy thin plastic water bottles as you run the risk of it leaking and making a real mess of all your clothes, but that's up to you. I have found recently that quite a few local growers now have their own canning facilities so they can put their own names on the tin which is really helpful.  As an added safety precaution you can seal the can in a plastic bag, making sure it has not got air holes in it of course just to be oversafe. As Mike says it is available in the duty free shop at the airport as well.   I still have a little left from October last year when I brought back a I litre tin from my hosts, really great for my salads, far too good an oil to waste  for cooking. :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 10:58:31 am by Al »
If at first you do not succeed.  Give up and go to the pub

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 09:41:43 am »
Thanks guys deffo wanna get some might get at airport then  :)

les

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 06:39:52 pm »
Lots on sale in the airport( not as good as local stuff though). Better buying it there to save the weight. If you were 4 kg over on the way out make sure you're under on way out. There's been loads of posts everywhere about people saying the were just on the limit coming out, used all their toiletries & sunscreen etc but then been charged for being a couple of kg over on return. It must be all the extra weight in the dirty clothes & towels etc.   :-X :o
P. S. How did my emojis work? They never used to.
P. P. S. We'll scrub that. I just edited & added some more & now they've all gone
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 06:46:05 pm by les »

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 08:33:02 pm »
We havenít bought olive oil in the U.K. for many years as we bring litres of the stuff home with us supplied by local friends on the island, never had an airport problem.

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 09:22:51 pm »
We havenít bought olive oil in the U.K. for many years as we bring litres of the stuff home with us supplied by local friends on the island, never had an airport problem.

It was really strange when we had a "problem" with it in, from memory, 2007 though it may have been 2005. We'd bought a big can to take on hand baggage as I said, but the check-in staff um-ed and ah-ed (was First Choice back then) and said they'd have to ask the captain as it was "flammable" ???. Finally, I can't recall the exact sequence of events, it was allowed on the plane but the crew had to have it in their possession during take-off; we only got it returned to us once the seat-belt lights went out and a stewardess found us to be reunited with it. Very odd.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 03:45:38 pm »
Thanks guys ended up getting from airport as was worried about weight they had a really good range and reasonable prices too.  :)

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 04:10:15 pm »
Lots on sale in the airport( not as good as local stuff though). Better buying it there to save the weight. If you were 4 kg over on the way out make sure you're under on way out. There's been loads of posts everywhere about people saying the were just on the limit coming out, used all their toiletries & sunscreen etc but then been charged for being a couple of kg over on return. It must be all the extra weight in the dirty clothes & towels etc.   :-X :o
P. S. How did my emojis work? They never used to.
P. P. S. We'll scrub that. I just edited & added some more & now they've all gone

My case was luckily 18kg on way back thankfully it's hard packing for two weeks etc. Made me more conscious of packing though

les

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 05:13:13 pm »
I hope you always make full use of your hand luggage allowance. It's surprising how many people complain about the baggage allowance then board with a tiny bag. Get the biggest bag allowed & fill it to whatever your allowance is. 2people on Jet2 could carry nearly a suitcase worth of extras in their hand luggage.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: Today at 06:44:40 am »
I hope you always make full use of your hand luggage allowance. It's surprising how many people complain about the baggage allowance then board with a tiny bag. Get the biggest bag allowed & fill it to whatever your allowance is. 2people on Jet2 could carry nearly a suitcase worth of extras in their hand luggage.

No we don't to be honest partner had a rucksack I had a medium sized bag. I am going with jet 2 to Crete in September never been with them before but only a week so 22kg should be ok. I hate carting loads of luggage in the airport but you are right in what you are saying but I did weigh my case at home but obviously rubbish scales  :'(