« on: July 30, 2019, 12:54:41 pm »
Do people always tip on holiday? If so how much do you tend to tip

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
Re: Tips
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 01:13:23 pm »
If service and food are good then I find a 10% tip is fine provided thereís no service charge. Sometimes Iíll leave the small change in my wallet even if itís not a lot just to get rid of it. After all youíve purchased a product and paid for it in full so thereís no obligation to tip on top. My wife thinks we should tip every time but not me and as said above good food and service is paramount to earn reward on top of the final bill.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 08:33:43 pm by tony welsh »

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 08:48:14 pm »
If service and food are good then I find a 10% tip is fine provided thereís no service charge. Sometimes Iíll leave the small change in my wallet even if itís not a lot just to get rid of it. After all youíve purchased a product and paid for it in full so thereís no obligation to tip on top. My wife thinks we should tip every time but not me and as said above good food and service is paramount to earn reward on top of the final bill.

Agree completely Tony, the only time I feel a little awkward is when I'm eating (or drinking) with people who've become proper friends. Do you tip a mate? Well yes I do because there are people in the kitchen who rarely see the light of day in the busy season. Shoestring have it right for me with their "recycle bins" on the bar, one for paper only and one for metal; while they're off looking after people I can slip in a few euros without making an issue of it.

Also, staying in locally owned places we routinely leave a tip for the cleaner when we leave, because it's always the same person and you get to know them. Think we left Ä20 this year; which actually thinking about it now feels a little mean ???.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 09:07:30 pm »

Agree completely Tony, the only time I feel a little awkward is when I'm eating (or drinking) with people who've become proper friends. Do you tip a mate? Well yes I do because there are people in the kitchen who rarely see the light of day in the busy season. Shoestring have it right for me with their "recycle bins" on the bar, one for paper only and one for metal; while they're off looking after people I can slip in a few euros without making an issue of it.

Also, staying in locally owned places we routinely leave a tip for the cleaner when we leave, because it's always the same person and you get to know them. Think we left Ä20 this year; which actually thinking about it now feels a little mean ???.

Agree with you both .... If service poor then no tip but otherwise will tip.
i agree feels more awkward with those you've built relationships with. thr cleaners etc do a fab job  :)

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 08:20:57 am »
We always leave a tip, usually rounded up, even if we pay by credit card we leave cash on the table. However , if the food or service not good ( never found this in Alykanas/ Alykes ) then nothing left. In the UK though we hardly ever tip. Think it is because we are more appreciative when abroad and more generous with our holiday spends. Also, we always leave a large generous tip for the cleaning ladies who do a fantastic job in usually very hot conditions, I don't know where they get their energy from and really appreciate them as they do all the work which is usually up to me at home, making beds, cleaning shower and toilet, washing floors etc. It's bliss returning from the beach/pool/trip to a lovely clean apartment. :)