Author Topic: Alykes/alykanas  (Read 2448 times)

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
Alykes/alykanas
« on: January 04, 2020, 01:12:06 pm »
Whose booked for next year?

Which resort?

Will you venture to the other resort?  :)

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
Re: Alykes/alykanas
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 01:45:26 pm »

Which resort?

Will you venture to the other resort?  :)

You mean this year ;D?

If so-

Old Alykanas (Xechoriatis).

Will visit the two local A's fairly often of an evening, probably Laganas because find it's the best for jewellery and wife has to have a souvenir of every visit. We'll pass through Argassi on our way down to Vasillikos but won't stop, likewise Tsilivi if my wanderings take me through there. Skinari always for views and Volimes for pottery. And Town on numerous occasions. Plus of course my "must visits" the castle and Vrahos in Agia Marina.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 02:12:14 pm »
Oh yes this year  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sounds fab wouldn't mind going to Argassi never been. Not as keen on tslivi but the other half likes it.

You're lucky you get to go for so long  :)

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 03:23:22 pm »

Which resort?

Will you venture to the other resort? 

Me..twice

Alykes

But of course

;D

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 05:03:23 pm »

Sounds fab wouldn't mind going to Argassi never been. Not as keen on tslivi but the other half likes it.

Not a fan of Argassi or Tsilivi personally; Argassi is the only resort on the island where the main strip is a main road so always a bit chaotic, and hilly as well once you head inland. Tsilivi is just too big and commercial for our taste, though I realise it's nothing compared to the horrendous high excesses in Spain.

I did stop in Argassi once may moons ago when Kev (Welsh guy and ex-regular on here who has for many years owned the Oceanic Bar in Kalamaki) worked at the Tropicana there (long since closed I think) to say hello to him, nice guy. Even went to Oceanic one year but it's a cocktail bar, and a very nice one, but as I'm always the driver and he only opens in the evening not gone back again. If he opened a franchise in Alykanas I'd be a regular ;D.

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 05:51:42 pm »
We’ve got 3 trips already booked this year all staying in Alykanas at our regular choice of acommodation, April, June, and Aug/Sept. We spend a few days driving all over the island when over stopping off here and there often spending the whole day at places like Keri, Plaka Beach, Banana Beach, Porto Koukla, etc, etc. On returning back up to Alykanas from the other end of the island in the early evenings we too call in to see Kevin at his Oceanic chill out bar on Kalamaki’s old original strip. The wife get’s to drink his fantastic cocktails whilst I have just a couple of glasses of shandy, “boo hoo”. We always spend time just across in Alykes both day and night on many occasions in places like Paporo, Fishalida, Golden Dolphin, etc by day. At night we visit Whispers Bar, (especially on Friday Greek Nights), Koukounaria Taverna, The Iris Bar, ( both day & night), Potami Taverna, to mention a few places. During the daytime Amoudi often figures with a few hours around the poolside with lunch at the Achillion complex or the Amoudi Taverna. A lunch date at the Ariadne Hotel down in Tsilivi often figures with a few hours poolside too as it’s owned by resident friends of ours. I used to plan holidays with written out itinerary’s but they soon went out of the window within a day or two of arriving on the island l.o.l. !!!

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 07:05:30 pm »

Not a fan of Argassi or Tsilivi personally; Argassi is the only resort on the island where the main strip is a main road so always a bit chaotic, and hilly as well once you head inland. Tsilivi is just too big and commercial for our taste, though I realise it's nothing compared to the horrendous high excesses in Spain.

I did stop in Argassi once may moons ago when Kev (Welsh guy and ex-regular on here who has for many years owned the Oceanic Bar in Kalamaki) worked at the Tropicana there (long since closed I think) to say hello to him, nice guy. Even went to Oceanic one year but it's a cocktail bar, and a very nice one, but as I'm always the driver and he only opens in the evening not gone back again. If he opened a franchise in Alykanas I'd be a regular ;D.

Well I feel the same about you as tslivi so probably Argassi not for me. I remember we want to tslivi in 2015/2015 and was having a drink and this guy kept coming up to me with his microphone and I must have looked miserable but really not my thing at all. I also joined the Facebook groups and looking at the posts there I soon removed myself.

I remember that kev didn't he used to be on here? Think he may have a bar in kalamaki not sure though. Designated driver poor you  :laugh:

I just like a nice meal and a few quiet drinks I'm a lightweight to be honest. I often work nights so relish going to bed before 12 if that makes me boring so be it  :laugh:

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 07:11:35 pm »
We’ve got 3 trips already booked this year all staying in Alykanas at our regular choice of acommodation, April, June, and Aug/Sept. We spend a few days driving all over the island when over stopping off here and there often spending the whole day at places like Keri, Plaka Beach, Banana Beach, Porto Koukla, etc, etc. On returning back up to Alykanas from the other end of the island in the early evenings we too call in to see Kevin at his Oceanic chill out bar on Kalamaki’s old original strip. The wife get’s to drink his fantastic cocktails whilst I have just a couple of glasses of shandy, “boo hoo”. We always spend time just across in Alykes both day and night on many occasions in places like Paporo, Fishalida, Golden Dolphin, etc by day. At night we visit Whispers Bar, (especially on Friday Greek Nights), Koukounaria Taverna, The Iris Bar, ( both day & night), Potami Taverna, to mention a few places. During the daytime Amoudi often figures with a few hours around the poolside with lunch at the Achillion complex or the Amoudi Taverna. A lunch date at the Ariadne Hotel down in Tsilivi often figures with a few hours poolside too as it’s owned by resident friends of ours. I used to plan holidays with written out itinerary’s but they soon went out of the window within a day or two of arriving on the island l.o.l. !!!

Sounds fab Tony great that you get all around. We have never tried potami but am thinking we must try there. look forward to your holiday reports.

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 09:03:43 pm »

You mean this year ;D?

If so-

Will visit the two local A's fairly often of an evening, probably Laganas because find it's the best for jewellery and wife has to have a souvenir of every visit. We'll pass through Argassi on our way down to Vasillikos but won't stop, likewise Tsilivi if my wanderings take me through there. Skinari always for views and Volimes for pottery. And Town on numerous occasions. Plus of course my "must visits" the castle and Vrahos in Agia Marina.

Must try and actually stop at this place. Passed it so many times on the way back from Loucha but never stopped.  Always trying to concentrate on not falling off the scooter on the ridged concrete as I turn the bend  ::)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 09:07:22 pm by Al »

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 09:26:39 pm »

You mean this year ;D?

If so-

Must try and actually stop at this place. Passed it so many times on the way back from Loucha but never stopped.  Always trying to concentrate on not falling off the scooter on the ridged concrete as I turn the bend  ::)

It is a serious corner Al I know but sitting out on the raised area in the taverna gives a view second to none. You need to see the church "cell" as well, imagining the suffering of those confined to it is very moving. Wife won't go near it any more since we were confronted there by an unaccompanied and snarling Alsatian a few years back so I had to do the hero stuff and stand between them saying reassuring things like, "he's only playing" when I was actually close to pooping my pants ;).

TONY(DODGY)

• Manche führen manche folgen
  • YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • Before you feed yourself, feed your soul.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 05:47:45 pm »
Booked for July arrive 25th.. 3 weeks staying at the Panos in Alykes. Normally stay at the Nikos but have my reason for the change, must be getting old.
I am really a nice person, eccentric bordering on the mad.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 09:08:54 pm »

You mean this year ;D?

If so-

I agree does look lovely and peaceful does where the lemon tree is count as old alykanas? The place where MIke stayed looked so nice  :)

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 09:18:02 pm »

You mean this year ;D?

If so-

It is a serious corner Al I know but sitting out on the raised area in the taverna gives a view second to none. You need to see the church "cell" as well, imagining the suffering of those confined to it is very moving. Wife won't go near it any more since we were confronted there by an unaccompanied and snarling Alsatian a few years back so I had to do the hero stuff and stand between them saying reassuring things like, "he's only playing" when I was actually close to pooping my pants ;).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: we had a similar dog experience once is Portugal and I made other half piggy back me

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 09:28:17 pm »
Booked for July arrive 25th.. 3 weeks staying at the Panos in Alykes. Normally stay at the Nikos but have my reason for the change, must be getting old.

sounds good  :laugh: as they say a change is as good as the rest and it's still the same beautiful resort

dh

• Offline Offline
  • mystery man
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 12:18:56 pm »
Alikanas twice, as always, will venture down to Alikes for a meal or two for sure