Author Topic: Alykes/alykanas  (Read 2103 times)

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
Re: Alykes/alykanas
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 12:53:59 pm »
The Vrahos (rock) Taverna mentioned by Mike above is really worth a visit. It is almost dead opposite the church on top of the hill up in Ano Gerikari. The outdoor concrete cast viewing and dining area there gives panoramic views across the lowlands facing the church on top of the hill. Inside the taverna itself there are lots of “Nick Nac’s” from times gone by which you are welcome to look around. In recent times it has had a bit of a facelift but I preferred it’s old rustic charm years ago. We first stopped off there I’de guess around 10 years or so ago lured in late morning by the hand painted sign outside saying “We make the best omlettes on the Ireland” the spelling of which amused us greatly. We hadn’t had breakfast and the omlettes we had were as good as advertised. There are chickens running around the hillside below the  Taverna and that’s obviously where the eggs came from, delicious. We’ve called in there several times over the years just for a drink and to enjoy the terrific views.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 01:59:57 pm »
Alikanas twice, as always, will venture down to Alikes for a meal or two for sure

Where are you staying in alykanas? We are looking at plessas or Phannis.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 02:01:25 pm »
The Vrahos (rock) Taverna mentioned by Mike above is really worth a visit. It is almost dead opposite the church on top of the hill up in Ano Gerikari. The outdoor concrete cast viewing and dining area there gives panoramic views across the lowlands facing the church on top of the hill. Inside the taverna itself there are lots of “Nick Nac’s” from times gone by which you are welcome to look around. In recent times it has had a bit of a facelift but I preferred it’s old rustic charm years ago. We first stopped off there I’de guess around 10 years or so ago lured in late morning by the hand painted sign outside saying “We make the best omlettes on the Ireland” the spelling of which amused us greatly. We hadn’t had breakfast and the omlettes we had were as good as advertised. There are chickens running around the hillside below the  Taverna and that’s obviously where the eggs came from, delicious. We’ve called in there several times over the years just for a drink and to enjoy the terrific views.

Sounds wonderful other half isn't keen on hiring a car though as we do a lot of commuting in England but sounds lovely  :)

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 02:47:18 pm »
Alikanas twice, as always, will venture down to Alikes for a meal or two for sure

Both are good quality acommodations set on the outskirts of the village as you approach from the airport direction and are just off the main village road. Plessas Palace is a couple of hundred metres closer to the central village area and we’ve used the facilities there several times over the years especially when our daughter stayed there some years ago. Thesedays having stayed in many other places throughout the village we stay at the Pahnis Studios. We had always liked the look of the Pahnis complex with it’s well kept front gardens with the acommodation block set well back off the main road. Having no pool back then was a no go to us as I like to get up and have a morning swim with the convenience of our studio at hand as the wife sleeps for much longer than me. About 5-6 years ago they had a pool installed so we booked to stay there then. It didn’t have a bar but a few years ago they built a bar at the frontage that serves all the usual poolside snacks and light meals found everywhere. The family that own it speak little English but everyone gets by, they are very acommodating and nothing is to much trouble. Nothing special about the rooms just good basic S/C Greek style studios that are kept very clean daily, we love it there.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 02:52:50 pm by tony welsh »

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 06:26:55 pm »
Stayed at Plessas Palace a few times, the last time was in 2016 when we not impressed by the sun loungers, most of which were in need of repair, but of course, things may have improved in that area now. Everything else about this accommodation was absolutely fine and we have enjoyed our holidays here immensely. The only reason we book elsewhere is we like White House Studios which are nearer the beach. :)

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 08:27:17 pm »
The White House studios are nearly always booked up as soon as T.U.I. release them at least a year in advance for the peak Summer months. You might get in them in the off peak months and they have been T.U.I. exclusive for years.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 08:31:47 pm by tony welsh »

mr b

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 12:38:40 pm »
White House studios now have some new rooms which aren't with TUI. We had a look round them and they are very good. If interested you will have to contact Karen at Bonkers Bar direct for availability

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2020, 07:46:55 am »
The White House studios are nearly always booked up as soon as T.U.I. release them at least a year in advance for the peak Summer months. You might get in them in the off peak months and they have been T.U.I. exclusive for years.

Didn't realise they were so popular it's only because Sophia mentions them I wondered. I thought dannys was the. It's popular in alykanas. Can't plan that far ahead with work and besides life's too short to plan that far ahead you never know what's going to happen anything over a year is a long time to pre book.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2020, 07:47:41 am »
White House studios now have some new rooms which aren't with TUI. We had a look round them and they are very good. If interested you will have to contact Karen at Bonkers Bar direct for availability

Thank you

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2020, 07:49:44 am »

Both are good quality acommodations set on the outskirts of the village as you approach from the airport direction and are just off the main village road. Plessas Palace is a couple of hundred metres closer to the central village area and we’ve used the facilities there several times over the years especially when our daughter stayed there some years ago. Thesedays having stayed in many other places throughout the village we stay at the Pahnis Studios. We had always liked the look of the Pahnis complex with it’s well kept front gardens with the acommodation block set well back off the main road. Having no pool back then was a no go to us as I like to get up and have a morning swim with the convenience of our studio at hand as the wife sleeps for much longer than me. About 5-6 years ago they had a pool installed so we booked to stay there then. It didn’t have a bar but a few years ago they built a bar at the frontage that serves all the usual poolside snacks and light meals found everywhere. The family that own it speak little English but everyone gets by, they are very acommodating and nothing is to much trouble. Nothing special about the rooms just good basic S/C Greek style studios that are kept very clean daily, we love it there.

Sounds good and it does appear to be the cheapest accommodation in resort

Andy_H

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2020, 08:58:10 am »
Got three trips booked this year. We always book a main two weeks in August package a year or so in advance to make sure we've got time to pay for it! That's always our main family holiday, although this year it had to be hastily rearranged after the demise of Thomas Cook - we usually stay at Danny's, so ended up rearranging to stay in Dennis Apartments where we have never stayed before. The one silver lining to the whole Thomas Cook thing was that we ended up needing to book for 18 nights rather than 14 because of flight prices - oh well  ;D

Other trips are always dependent on flight prices as we do those DIY

Mrs H and I are fortunate in that my in-laws live on the south coast and they like to have our boys for a "holiday" there with them every year, so this enables the wife and I to have a week in Alykanas to ourselves, assuming we are able to get reasonably priced flights. This year I got up in the middle of the night when Easyjet released their flights and managed to get return flights and baggage in the school hols in July for the wife and I for under £300 in total. Staying at Draganikos - we tried there last year for the first time and really liked it. I think Anastasia persuaded us to give it a go   :laugh:

Weren't going to have another trip but got really lucky a few weeks ago when Easyjet added an extra flight from Bristol for this year, they didn't advertise it, I just spotted it on Skyscanner - so also managed to grab a bonus week for the four of us for May half term. Staying at Dennis Apartments again - their 2 bedroom studio was good value.

Counted up while I was reading this thread that May will be our 15th visit to Alykanas - somewhat shamefully, even after 14 visits we've seen relatively little outside of the resort. We've ventured over to Alykes for a walk along the beach a couple of times, eaten at Paradosiako and Potami, had breakfast at Fidelio and had played mini golf a couple of times at Iris Bar. Oh, and we've been to the water park in Sarakinado a couple of times, but that's really it. Never explored the island much, never spent an evening anywhere other than Alykanas - I know we should expand our horizons a bit, but we love Alykanas so much, we relax the moment we get there and never seem to want to stray too far from there.

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2020, 05:18:16 pm »
Counted up while I was reading this thread that May will be our 15th visit to Alykanas - somewhat shamefully, even after 14 visits we've seen relatively little outside of the resort. We've ventured over to Alykes for a walk along the beach a couple of times, eaten at Paradosiako and Potami, had breakfast at Fidelio and had played mini golf a couple of times at Iris Bar. Oh, and we've been to the water park in Sarakinado a couple of times, but that's really it. Never explored the island much, never spent an evening anywhere other than Alykanas - I know we should expand our horizons a bit, but we love Alykanas so much, we relax the moment we get there and never seem to want to stray too far from there.

No shame at all in that Andy, we all have different ideas on an ideal holiday and if it it works for you then it needs no fixing. Even wife and I differ on many days; she's happy sunning herself while I can't stand it so leave her to go off on my travels very often, sometimes she chooses to come with me (which normally involves her spending money somewhere ::)) but it works for us. Enjoy your visits.

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2020, 03:44:04 pm »
Same here Mike and Andy....I generally like to chill and take books which I never seem to have time to read at home whilst Ian prefers to go for walks around the resort and we always take a long walk every evening when it is cooler, tending to wander between both resorts,checking out what has changed and what has improved  :) :) :)

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2020, 02:30:49 pm »
Got three trips booked this year. We always book a main two weeks in August package a year or so in advance to make sure we've got time to pay for it! That's always our main family holiday, although this year it had to be hastily rearranged after the demise of Thomas Cook - we usually stay at Danny's, so ended up rearranging to stay in Dennis Apartments where we have never stayed before. The one silver lining to the whole Thomas Cook thing was that we ended up needing to book for 18 nights rather than 14 because of flight prices - oh well  ;D

Other trips are always dependent on flight prices as we do those DIY

Mrs H and I are fortunate in that my in-laws live on the south coast and they like to have our boys for a "holiday" there with them every year, so this enables the wife and I to have a week in Alykanas to ourselves, assuming we are able to get reasonably priced flights. This year I got up in the middle of the night when Easyjet released their flights and managed to get return flights and baggage in the school hols in July for the wife and I for under £300 in total. Staying at Draganikos - we tried there last year for the first time and really liked it. I think Anastasia persuaded us to give it a go   :laugh:

Weren't going to have another trip but got really lucky a few weeks ago when Easyjet added an extra flight from Bristol for this year, they didn't advertise it, I just spotted it on Skyscanner - so also managed to grab a bonus week for the four of us for May half term. Staying at Dennis Apartments again - their 2 bedroom studio was good value.

Sounds brill bet you can't wait  :).

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 04:57:02 pm »
Alykanas, just the once, arriving early June for two weeks of bliss. We never tire of this place and are so pleased the issues with the demise of Thomas Cook have, for some accommodations been resolved with Tui taking over. People ask us why we keep going back to the same place every year. Doh...we enjoy it !!! It's like having a holiday home there only no need to face bills, maintainance issues, gardening, cleaning etc , just unpack and relax. :)