Author Topic: The Greek Islands with Julia Bradbury  (Read 1409 times)

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
The Greek Islands with Julia Bradbury
« on: January 10, 2020, 08:47:10 pm »
OK so this is not specifically Zak but thought people may be interested in as it covers Greece in general.

A new series on ITV and the fist episode of six  covers Crete which I just watched and an island I visited many moons ago before discovering Zakynthos.
Not sure exactly what all the  rest will cover  but really takes the mind off this rather damp weather and gives something to look forward to in the summer.

*If I had read further down the write up I would have known ::)

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week2/greek-islands-julia-bradbury

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:03:14 am by Al »

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
Re: The Greek Islands with Julia Bradbury
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 09:49:53 pm »
OK so this is not specifically Zak but thought people may be interested in as it covers Greece in general.

A new series on ITV and the fist episode of six  covers Crete which I just watched and an island I visited many moons ago before discovering Zakynthos.
Not sure exactly what all the  rest will cover  but really takes the mind off this rather damp weather and gives something to look forward to in the summer.

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week2/greek-islands-julia-bradbury

If Julia Bradbury was making a programme about my house I'd sit in the garden....even if it was raining. Last time I watched anything on ITV was when my hand slipped on the remote twelve or so years ago, so I'll pass thanks Al. For those who enjoy; medical help is available even under the Tories (but you may need to wait six months).

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 04:47:06 pm »
Watched this programme and quite enjoyed it .I didn't realise Julia is half Greek. It showed an amazing filo pastry maker and I would watch it just to see this very proud baker making the most delicate of pastry. I'll never eat filo pastry without a memory of him. Also liked seeing parts of Crete, including Rethymnon. :)

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 05:32:10 pm »
Watched this programme and quite enjoyed it .I didn't realise Julia is half Greek. It showed an amazing filo pastry maker and I would watch it just to see this very proud baker making the most delicate of pastry. I'll never eat filo pastry without a memory of him. Also liked seeing parts of Crete, including Rethymnon. :)

I did one of those DNA tester things last year and discovered I'm 45% Scandinavian (and only 18% English).

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 01:24:35 pm »
Interesting....I, too, am half Greek, like Julia. My dad was born in Pireaus, Athens and he met my Mum ( her dad was Swedish and mother English ) as he was in the Greek navy and the ship docked in Cardiff where she was living. She tells me he could only say "Yes" and "No" in Englishwhen they met, so how they managed to communicate I will never know.

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 02:11:05 pm »
Interesting....I, too, am half Greek, like Julia. My dad was born in Pireaus, Athens and he met my Mum ( her dad was Swedish and mother English ) as he was in the Greek navy and the ship docked in Cardiff where she was living. She tells me he could only say "Yes" and "No" in Englishwhen they met, so how they managed to communicate I will never know.

Probably in a way offspring don't like to think of their parents communicating in ;D. Every generation thinks they invented sex ;).

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 08:45:38 am »
 ;D ;D ;D Yes probably.

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 09:13:58 pm »
Corfu tonight that we’ve just watched and again as last week’s episode it was generally very disappointing. Not enough content, nothing on the tourist resorts at all. I know it’s hard to squeeze a lot into a 30 minute slot but tonight’s episode was in a word “ crap” !!!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:16:42 pm by tony welsh »

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 10:01:22 pm »
Corfu tonight that we’ve just watched and again as last week’s episode it was generally very disappointing. Not enough content, nothing on the tourist resorts at all. I know it’s hard to squeeze a lot into a 30 minute slot but tonight’s episode was in a word “ crap” !!!!

Didn't really cover much of Crete but nice to see spinalonga where I've been and those filo pastries al - nom nom how clever was her chucking it like a dome  :)

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 10:04:52 pm »

Wow half Greek can you cook like a Greek though ??

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 01:05:19 pm »
Hi Mari, yes I can cook tasty Greek food. My Dad, when he was at home took over the cooking so we were brought up to prepare, cook and eat whatever was put in front of us Our traditional Sunday dinner , for example, was spaghetti cooked in the oven with lamb cooked separately and a Greek salad ( no pudding or dessert ). There was not much opportunity back then to buy the necessary ingredients ( not like today ) so we always went to this little old fashioned shop near the docks where they would sell all manner of ingredients in hessian sacks, weighed out and placed ever so carefully in brown paper bags. Also my Grandmother would send delicacies over, like dried octopus. Needless to say, I avoided inviting friends over when these packages arrived. ;D ;D ;D

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 02:24:34 pm »

Well have got to agree, an awful lot of of uninteresting subject content  and valuable time to show off the island lost. Just re-watched it on the very irritating ITV hub with the adverts you cannot get away from and if you try to, another tab opens. Just to remind me in case i missed anything whilst blinking. Unfortunately I didn't.

Will keep watching the series "just in case" it improves :-X

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 05:13:18 pm »
Santorini tonight, hope it’s better than the 1st two very poor episodes !!!

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 12:03:24 pm »
Julia's trip to Santorini was enjoyable as she also explored the quieter parts of the island and travelled over to "baby" Santorini, Therissia I think it was called which is really the complete opposite of Santorini in that it was peaceful, quaint and untouched by tourism...so far. Some terrific views of the sunrises and sunsets there and interesting to see the harvesting of the island's fava beans.

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2020, 09:05:58 am »
Forgot it was on Friday so have just watched it on itv hub.

Santorini is an island I have always wanted to visit but not yet got round to, but must do soon, along with Skiathos.  I will have to save up a bit if I want to stay on the caldera side of the island to get the best views. Better than the first 2 episodes and showed some of the walking and getting away from the tourists ( not that i'm one of course)and finding the older original side of Greece and the less frequented parts. Will have to give the fava bean paste a try ( not really noticed it in Zakynthos).
The island of Thirasia looks interesting just peace and tranquility and getting away from everything and just able to walk as only one very makeshift taxi to get about.
Also found that the scheme to get local fishermen to remove the plastic waste from the sea around the island when they bring it up in their nets and not just chuck it back was a really positive step.

Think I will even watch this again. ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:55:41 am by Al »