Author Topic: Summer 2021  (Read 1170 times)

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
Summer 2021
« on: May 05, 2020, 11:19:38 am »
I spoke to our accommodation owners yesterday and they are worried for the future with their income depending on the holiday trade. I asked if they had opened their books for 2021 yet to which they replied yes ďmany days agoĒ with cancelled dates for this year moved to next year. This prompted me to get my next years dates in with them now. I really feel for all the lovely people that provide us returnee holidaymakers with a great service year after year. I just hope we can honour our August/Sept booking this year but the health and safety of everyone must be paramount in these very uncertain times that we face.

Soupdragon

• Offline Offline
Re: Summer 2021
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 01:19:58 pm »
We've got our fingers crossed for October. I'm really hoping things have eased enough for us to get there. Should be there now but understand that the way things are that it was not going to happen. Virus aside, my own personal health would have stopped our May visit. Aortic valve replacement has now been done and am recovering, all the more reason to look forward to October  8)  the only issue will be alcohol, doesn't go too well with warfarin they tell me. Will have to see if alcohol free beer has improved since I last tried it. Tasted like stewed cabbage water back in the day.
We've already got October 2021 pencilled in and are planning a double visit in 2022 to make up for this year.
I shudder to think how many Greek families who rely on tourism as their main form of income that will suffer from the lack of visitors. They're (without exception) the most welcoming and genuinely friendly people we've ever had the pleasure of meeting.
So we've both got our fingers crossed and hope that they all come through this and continue to welcome visitors as they've done for years.

Cheers.            Tom and Rose

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 03:56:46 pm »
I see Easyjet are now advertising flights up to the 4th May 2021 now, so you can do Easter next year (sun  2nd May) but won't be able to book  flight back yet ;)

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 03:59:52 pm »
Won't be able to make Alykanas this year now after Tui cancelled our planned trip to White House Studios. We have booked to go there next September 2021. Our other holiday for this year is to Maleme, Crete early October so hope this will be okay. I must admit I would be very tempted to book something for this July if tourism has restarted in Greece and it would definitely be Alykanas. We love our holidays there, visiting favourite bars and tavernas and relaxing on the beach, sipping a cool cocktail whilst absorbing the sun's rays........oh, have to stop reminising, just makes me feel sad and especially sad for the businesses out there which must be having a very worrying time.

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 04:31:27 pm »
I see Easyjet are now advertising flights up to the 4th May 2021 now, so you can do Easter next year (sun  2nd May) but won't be able to book  flight back yet ;)

Just saw that Al, Bristol 28th April for £48.99 currently. Flights from Gatwick begin 1st April, one flight from Stansted 1st May and three from Liverpool starting 26th April.

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 04:54:32 pm »
Yes Iíde looked at them, crafty of them I think as you can get out for a week over the Greek Easter weekend but no return release as yet. It also coincides with our May Day long weekend.  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

mickyp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 07:00:16 pm »
i think your right tony, very crafty, flights out start of may look good prices but i reckon they will sting us on the returns.

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 08:59:14 pm »
i think your right tony, very crafty, flights out start of may look good prices but i reckon they will sting us on the returns.

On the Gatwick flights where you can buy returns they're as low as £22, with outward £40/50/60. Bargain if can fly from there.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 01:57:37 pm »
Won't be able to make Alykanas this year now after Tui cancelled our planned trip to White House Studios. We have booked to go there next September 2021. Our other holiday for this year is to Maleme, Crete early October so hope this will be okay. I must admit I would be very tempted to book something for this July if tourism has restarted in Greece and it would definitely be Alykanas. We love our holidays there, visiting favourite bars and tavernas and relaxing on the beach, sipping a cool cocktail whilst absorbing the sun's rays........oh, have to stop reminising, just makes me feel sad and especially sad for the businesses out there which must be having a very worrying time.

Ah I feel the same as you Sophia as I'm sure we all do. Hopefully things will resume as normal next year it's so depressing  :'(

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 01:59:34 pm »
We've got our fingers crossed for October. I'm really hoping things have eased enough for us to get there. Should be there now but understand that the way things are that it was not going to happen. Virus aside, my own personal health would have stopped our May visit. Aortic valve replacement has now been done and am recovering, all the more reason to look forward to October  8)  the only issue will be alcohol, doesn't go too well with warfarin they tell me. Will have to see if alcohol free beer has improved since I last tried it. Tasted like stewed cabbage water back in the day.
We've already got October 2021 pencilled in and are planning a double visit in 2022 to make up for this year.
I shudder to think how many Greek families who rely on tourism as their main form of income that will suffer from the lack of visitors. They're (without exception) the most welcoming and genuinely friendly people we've ever had the pleasure of meeting.
So we've both got our fingers crossed and hope that they all come through this and continue to welcome visitors as they've done for years.

Hopefully they'll be a vaccine by then. Hope your health is going ok. Hopefully next year Greece can recoup all their losses as we will all spend a lot more   :)

Soupdragon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 09:52:19 pm »
It'll take some doing to make up all the lost revenue but we'll certainly do our part  ;)

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 09:13:06 am »
Should be flying back to the UK tomorrow, but am already here. However the same feeling will probably kick in of it is going to be a long wait until the end of September when I will be back to Alykes again. Just hope things are sorted by then, so it actually  happens  :-\
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 10:46:36 am by Al »

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 05:28:42 pm »
Took the final decision today and officially cancelled September trip, well postponed it anyway. Now booked for 8th to 29th Sept 2021; accommodation owners responded to my message within fifteen minutes saying they were quite happy to carry our deposit over and make the new reservation. Now we wait to see if our flights go this year, I suppose if they do we'll just have to take the financial hit.

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 07:09:31 pm »
Think perhaps it is better to be certain of your plans Mike, rather than face the constant uncertainty. It is sad to have your plans disrupted but better to feel sure you will be able to travel securely next year when you have seen how travel to Europe pans out. We are still keepimg our fingers crossed for an October holiday to Maleme, Crete. This is a bed and breakfast board so wonder what the buffet will be like, whether we will have set times or no buffet, just table service. Have to wait and see. :) It is a small family run place so I'm sure the family will do the best they can for their guests. :)

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2020, 07:33:32 pm »
Weíve got our fingers crossed for our late August trip this year going ahead after loosing our Easter trip and also this Juneís trip when we would have been flying back home from Zakynthos tomorrow. Iíve gone ahead and booked our acommodation for next Easter with the flights too at a very reasonable cost but not as cheap as this past Easterís cancelled flights. I havenít made up my mind yet as what to do with this Juneís cancelled flights. Iím hoping that Easyjet might extend the current period available for next year (only available up until May) to use them for next June otherwise Iíll probably go for the refund option.