Author Topic: UK 2 week quarantine  (Read 779 times)

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
UK 2 week quarantine
« on: May 23, 2020, 07:25:11 am »
What are peoples thoughts about this quarantine that the UK are bringing in?
Even if flights resume with all the checks and masks and gloves etc. and you manage to get over there and get your holiday( which probably will not feel anything like the same), when you get back to the UK you are going to have to isolate for a further 2 weeks.
No wonder the airlines are up in arms about this one. I really want to go on my flight in September, but this effectively screws everything up completely . You are not going go or to book a 1 or 2 week holiday and then need to book a further 2 weeks off work ( like your boss is going to wear that one if anyone is actually working) to isolate. If you don't go, will you be able to get your money back or be covered by insurance if you cancel, possibly not ?  ???

Get a feeling this is going to have to be thrashed out more or this year is just going to be written off completely for us Brits ::)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:38:44 am by Al »

mickyp

• Offline Offline
Re: UK 2 week quarantine
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 08:12:38 am »
i think it will stop most people having their holidays. we were due to have 3 weeks in june which would effectively become 5 weeks off of work. im self employed so thats no income for me for 5 weeks. my wife has trouble getting the 3 weeks off in one go so dont think her company will appreciate 5 weeks. plus we are booked for  2 weeks in september which would become 4 weeks off. tricky!!!!!!!

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 02:33:45 pm »
What are peoples thoughts about this quarantine that the UK are bringing in?
Even if flights resume with all the checks and masks and gloves etc. and you manage to get over there and get your holiday( which probably will not feel anything like the same), when you get back to the UK you are going to have to isolate for a further 2 weeks.
No wonder the airlines are up in arms about this one. I really want to go on my flight in September, but this effectively screws everything up completely . You are not going go or to book a 1 or 2 week holiday and then need to book a further 2 weeks off work ( like your boss is going to wear that one if anyone is actually working) to isolate. If you don't go, will you be able to get your money back or be covered by insurance if you cancel, possibly not ?  ???

Get a feeling this is going to have to be thrashed out more or this year is just going to be written off completely for us Brits ::)
I certainly won't be able to go but want my money back it's awful I'm confused by jet 2 saying holidays going from 1st July we are tui though  :'(
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 12:53:20 pm by Christos »

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 02:38:01 pm »
Sorry don't know what I've done here  :laugh:

I'm confused by all this we can't go both working but we with tui hope we get money back though  :'(

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 04:48:27 pm »

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 09:57:03 am »
Whatever you do, do not cancel and if you have further payments to make on a package holiday , pay them as if you don't then in effect you have broken the contract and will not get any money back. Let the tour operator contact you, let them cancel and you will have a full refund. I agree this 14 day quarantine on the part of the UK will make things very difficult unless you are retired and do not have to go anywhere for the time you are expected to quarantine. I think things will change though so keep a listen out.

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 10:46:08 am »
Whatever you do, do not cancel and if you have further payments to make on a package holiday , pay them as if you don't then in effect you have broken the contract and will not get any money back. Let the tour operator contact you, let them cancel and you will have a full refund. I agree this 14 day quarantine on the part of the UK will make things very difficult unless you are retired and do not have to go anywhere for the time you are expected to quarantine. I think things will change though so keep a listen out.

Due to issues at work after returning on Wednesday of last week, I have decided to bring my retirement forward and finish on Thursday. It was not the plan as I was going to work up to my retirement date later in the year carry on on full time for about 3 months and then ask to go part time. But far too much hassle etc. so chucked the towel in.
On a good note, if my flight goes ahead in September I will be able to self isolate when I get back here with no problems. That is if the requirement is still in force by then  :)

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 05:30:05 pm »
Should I wish you happy retirement Al ??? Or as this appears to not be what you wanted, maybe not. There is life after retirement but it's always a bit sad to leave your work friends. Think of it as a great opportunity to do things you weren't able to when in work. Anyway, all our best wishes to you.

Rab B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 06:12:27 pm »
I for one will not be in quarantine when I return from holiday ,there is no way they can police this and since I'm retired it would be really hard to tell if I ever left the house unless someone was watching me 24/7 .I will be driving from Newcastle airport to Edinburgh on my return so hopefully the Scottish government will have a different policy in place by that time,keep safe everyone and hopefully see you in Zante

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 09:55:09 am »
I for one will not be in quarantine when I return from holiday ,there is no way they can police this and since I'm retired it would be really hard to tell if I ever left the house unless someone was watching me 24/7 .I will be driving from Newcastle airport to Edinburgh on my return so hopefully the Scottish government will have a different policy in place by that time,keep safe everyone and hopefully see you in Zante

Think the 1000 fine would put me off breaching quarantine Rab plus I wouldn't want to spent the returning fortnight feeling anxious should anything happen. As you say Scotland may alter their policy. We in Wales are awaiting their next plan on Friday. My husband was getting optimistic about the 50 voucher scheme to get his bike back on the road, then found out this was applicable to England only. I wish decisions were for all of UK or wish the Govt would make it more clear what was relevant for England, Scotland, Wales and northern Ireland.

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 08:12:34 am »
Looks like the Government are now looking at possible testing at the airport  for people when arriving from abroad, for which if you test negative then you may not have to isolate for as long.
However at 140 per test, would be yet another rather expensive cost to add to your holiday ::)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53116372

Travel corridors under discussion as well. Quarantine may be relaxed for some countries

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53122825
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 07:03:17 am by Al »

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 03:33:10 pm »
Yes, all sounds very expensive. Spain have said they will welcome Brits from today which will be useful if you are retired and have accommdation there and can stay for a month or so as possibly by then this country will have relaxed the quarantine rules for returnees. Hope so anyway. Plus any country welcoming us is a positive. :)

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 07:15:51 am »
Looks like better news for those wanting to go on holiday as agreements are being made for certain countries regarding the 2 week quarantine reqd when you get back from abroad. Greece is on the list :)
Heard on the BBC news this morning that the blanket travel advice on non essential travel should be revised shortly so that holidays can resume in July to permit this to happen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53199089

« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 07:55:38 am by Al »

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 09:22:41 pm »
Looks like better news for those wanting to go on holiday as agreements are being made for certain countries regarding the 2 week quarantine reqd when you get back from abroad. Greece is on the list :)
Heard on the BBC news this morning that the blanket travel advice on non essential travel should be revised shortly so that holidays can resume in July to permit this to happen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53199089

We are kinda hoping our September holiday goes ahead now if things are better we will see