Author Topic: Are many tavernas, bars, supermarkets open in Alykanas or Alykes?  (Read 3721 times)

zante1980

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
Re: Are many tavernas, bars, supermarkets open in Alykanas or Alykes?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2020, 08:56:33 am »
Does anyone know if Dave Clitheroe still goes to Zante, we used to drive over and have a drink with him at the bar by the river, lovely chap.

Sonia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • I love Alikanas
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2020, 09:14:04 am »
Mari, not sure if it's still called the Pie Shack, I presume you mean the one by the river almost opposite Paradosiako?

We went in for a drink a couple of years ago and it is actually quite nice in there, a little quirky but the drinks were quite expensive.

Sonia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • I love Alikanas
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2020, 09:14:50 am »
Does anyone know if Dave Clitheroe still goes to Zante, we used to drive over and have a drink with him at the bar by the river, lovely chap.

Dave posts quite regularly on Facebook, I have sent him a message and will let you know his response.

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2020, 10:59:11 am »
Mari, not sure if it's still called the Pie Shack, I presume you mean the one by the river almost opposite Paradosiako?

We went in for a drink a couple of years ago and it is actually quite nice in there, a little quirky but the drinks were quite expensive.

Have also been here for a late evening drink here. It broke up the walk back from Alykes to our accommodation in Alykanas when we stayed at Danny's so it was quite a long walk back. I think the name puts people off as you imagine all it sells is pies, not the case at all. :)

zante1980

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2020, 11:02:47 am »

Dave posts quite regularly on Facebook, I have sent him a message and will let you know his response.

Thankyou, I had a cull recently and anybody I hadn't interacted with for two years got sent packing, got a horrible feeling Dave might have been one of them.

Sonia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • I love Alikanas
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2020, 12:38:16 pm »
Just been hearing that you won't be allowed to visit other swimming pools , can see the reason behind this for tracing purposes etc but a shame for the likes of Nikos (whispers) and Mill bar who rely on the walk up trade. Also not to good for those who have booked apartments with no pool ???

The Mill Bar is open including the pool.  It will operate with certain restrictions. This information is direct from Julie Tourikis.

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2020, 01:18:26 pm »

Is that the Dave who lives/lived in Tiverton? I'm not far from there and used to see him town quite a lot but not seen him for years.

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2020, 02:38:50 pm »
Still not much happening at Fidelios at the moment, but I can see activity happening across the road at Spikey's so maybe he is getting ready to open.

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2020, 02:42:24 pm »

Is that the Dave who lives/lived in Tiverton? I'm not far from there and used to see him town quite a lot but not seen him for years.

Thats the Chap Mike. He was a regular on here for ages. Met him one year when our holidays coincided in the Iris bar.

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2020, 04:18:51 pm »
Thats the Chap Mike. He was a regular on here for ages. Met him one year when our holidays coincided in the Iris bar.

Good to hear he's still alive and kicking, he's 79 now according to his profile and the fact that he's stopped posting on here plus the lack of "sightings" had me a little concerned for his well-being.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2020, 05:08:19 pm »

Yes it's still called the pie shack it used to be popular many years ago and we had pie and chips there once it was expensive then aswell. This was like 2002 though but it appears to still be there just empty  :'(

Sonia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • I love Alikanas
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2020, 08:52:42 pm »

Yes it's still called the pie shack it used to be popular many years ago and we had pie and chips there once it was expensive then aswell. This was like 2002 though but it appears to still be there just empty  :'(

Hopefully be able to give an update in a couple of months time. :)

Sonia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • I love Alikanas
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2020, 09:52:39 am »

Thankyou, I had a cull recently and anybody I hadn't interacted with for two years got sent packing, got a horrible feeling Dave might have been one of them.

Yes Dave has still been going to Alykes (every year since 1994, same as me!) but not going this year.  I have passed on the link to this messageboard and hopefully he will be posting soon.  If not, perhaps you could tell me your name by private message if you like and your contact details and I'll pass it on to Dave.  He does recall one person driving over to Montes bar.

Dave.

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • The older I get, the better I was....
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2020, 04:58:17 pm »
Yes, Im pleased to say I am still breathing and hopefully for a lot longer if the almighty lets me keep body and soul together. Sadly I will not be going to Alykes this year due to the Covid19 virus. Would have been bit of a gamble at my age. Next year? That depends what the situation is with this virus.  Going to really miss going this year as it gets to be part of your DNA after going there for so long. It was quite a surprise when Sonia told me that the forum was up and running again and hopefully still will be in the years ahead.

Apollo, September 20th-27th 2017.

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2020, 05:49:42 pm »
Nice to have you back on here Dave and glad you are well :)