Author Topic: Holiday ends today.  (Read 684 times)

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
Holiday ends today.
« on: September 09, 2020, 03:54:39 am »
I havenít been around over the few weeks as Iíve been here in Alykanas but weíre flying home later today. Iíve often posted an ongoing thread about our holiday progress but this trip Iíve posted it on tripadvisor forums on Zakynthos instead. Participation on here is very limited nowadays and only a handful of us keeps it alive, with no new members being allowed in due to the books being closed by the moderation team who no longer participate on here either. It sadly looks like our forum that has helped many to enjoy their Zakynthian holidays over many years is on itís last legs. Anyway hereís the link to our holiday story:- https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189462-i544-k13380746-Off_to_a_great_start-Zakynthos_Ionian_Islands.html

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
Re: Holiday ends today.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 07:08:16 am »
Have a good trip back Tony

Cannot believe that 2 weeks have gone by already.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 08:37:07 am »
Thanks Tony have a safe journey home.

Really sad about this board  :'( hope you had a lovely holiday

Soupdragon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 09:55:39 am »
Unfortunately it's getting more common now. Facebook has a lot to answer for and with TripAdvisor being so popular it's hard to see how long the traditional forums can continue

Cheers.           Tom and Rose

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 12:14:59 pm »
Will enjoy having a read later Tony. I'm sure it will be a good read. At the moment we don't know if we will be going or not. Tui have cancelled all package holidays to Zakynthos up to 22/09/2020 and we are supposed to be going after that date so it remains a waiting game for us. Hope this forum will continue as although I go on Tripadvisor I don't use any other social media. It is a great little forum here even though numbers who post are dwindling. We are trying to look at other Greek islands as a sort of contingency plan if our trip falls through but not much to choose from with Tui.

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 05:38:27 pm »
Will enjoy having a read later Tony. I'm sure it will be a good read. At the moment we don't know if we will be going or not. Tui have cancelled all package holidays to Zakynthos up to 22/09/2020 and we are supposed to be going after that date so it remains a waiting game for us. Hope this forum will continue as although I go on Tripadvisor I don't use any other social media. It is a great little forum here even though numbers who post are dwindling. We are trying to look at other Greek islands as a sort of contingency plan if our trip falls through but not much to choose from with Tui.
Itís madness what the British government has done to Zakynthos and other islands, destroying their Season. The ďHypeĒ created by the British gutter press is just so over the top itís unreal. Zakynthos is virtually Covid 19 free with just 27 cases recorded there since the outbreak way back in March. Jenny Turner a lovely ex-pat who was a very familiar face around Alykanas and the Mill bar until retiring has posted about the situation which truly describes to true situation on Zakynthos. An ITN reporter got hold of me via Tripadvisor messenger to ask me to do a live interview via Skype to go out on National T.V. here in the U.K. but I most definately declined stating my thoughts and opinions of the way the British press operate. Iíll look for Jennyís link and hopefully add it on here.

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 06:00:19 pm »
Itís madness what the British government has done to Zakynthos and other islands, destroying their Season. The ďHypeĒ created by the British gutter press is just so over the top itís unreal. Zakynthos is virtually Covid 19 free with just 27 cases recorded there since the outbreak way back in March. Jenny Turner a lovely ex-pat who was a very familiar face around Alykanas and the Mill bar until retiring has posted about the situation which truly describes to true situation on Zakynthos. An ITN reporter got hold of me via Tripadvisor messenger to ask me to do a live interview via Skype to go out on National T.V. here in the U.K. but I most definately declined stating my thoughts and opinions of the way the British press operate. Iíll look for Jennyís link and hopefully add it on here.

Found it:- Just lost for words.
All the hard work Greece has put in to keep the place safe, the pointless lockdown on this COVID free island, the remaining small amount of cases here, and the relentless efforts of all the business owners on ZŠkynthos.
We feel like a child being punished for the wrong doings of someone else whose parents wonít listen to reason!
Like the hypocrisy of the father, lecturing on the dangers of smoking with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth with the ash falling to the floor that your mother has to clean!
On the day that ZŠkynthos was removed from the Green, safe zone list, it had to date only 27 registered cases since the beginning of the COVID scare. Britain recorded 2988 new infections on that very dayís register, ZŠkynthos 0.
It has been paradise for those that made it here and a relief for us that enjoy and even need you here. In the controlled system that Britain has become this is sanctuary to many and fresh air to others.
We feel for those that have to give up an extra 2 weeks, trapped in their homes without contact with their loved ones, because of the ramblings of the a few irresponsible adolescents that have supplied the fuel to the British Media, whose job it seems, is to sensationalise you every morning with the meaningless bulls**t that you are expected to absorb as part of your daily routine, regardless of the damage caused to the sometimes innocent victims it devours!
OK, a bit over the top, but, is it really?
Maybe Iím not lost for words then. Maybe Iím a little bitter! Maybe we were all sitting on a fence, waiting to be pushed off and were ready for this inevitable occorence! Now it is here, the reality is painful.
So, letís hope that the season may continue to a fashion and we can bring a smile to the faces of those that are still able to come here to enjoy what is left of the sun, hospitality and fun.
There is a sunbed waiting for you!
Now I have run out of words! And need to close.
Have a great day!!

Soupdragon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 06:23:12 pm »
That just about sums it up.
Such a ridiculous way to handle the situation. I just hope there are enough people in the Greek government that can explain the figures to our own useless government in words of one syllable and restore some sanity

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 06:45:37 pm »
Agree with everything posted re this topic. Why is it still okay to travel to Portugal but not certain areas of Greece where the incidence of Covid is low? Also, why are travel corridors okay for some Greek islands but not for Spanish islands? Do you think the UK govt might reinstate the travel corridor with Zakynthos before the end of the season ?

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 09:04:31 pm »

Oh that's so shocking and underhand it's so sad

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 09:05:25 pm »
That just about sums it up.
Such a ridiculous way to handle the situation. I just hope there are enough people in the Greek government that can explain the figures to our own useless government in words of one syllable and restore some sanity

Why are Portugal still quarantine free with higher figures I don't get it

Soupdragon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 09:21:13 am »
Just had our easyjet flights from Liverpool cancelled. 8th October  :'(

Tom and Rose

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 12:39:28 pm »

Tom and Rose

Rubbish  :'( I hope we get to go next year

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 01:44:41 pm »

Tom and Rose
Sorry to hear that :(

Looks like the last EJ flight back from Zak to Liverpool is now on the 1st Oct

They are still selling seats on my flight from Bristol of out on Sat the 26th Sept and back on 3rd Oct....
Flights in October from Bristol on the Wednesday seem to have vanished, but Saturday flights are still there at very cheap prices

will have to wait and see what happens :-\

PS just had a look for flights to Zak from Gatwick and they have all disappeared for October as well,  apart for 1 flight on  25th Oct and on 1st Nov
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 02:04:53 pm by Al »

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2020, 02:59:40 pm »
People are still flying out and gambling with the return flight home without worrying. Many people rushed home to beat the the 14 day self isolation order cutting short there holidays which is nuts all driven by the greed of the British scum press whilst Zakynthos overall remains virtually covid free as stated in my above post. Those who did stay on to complete their holidays have sufficient funds to book alternative flights home via Athens and Kefalonia. Both of these destinations are easily reachable via the local hopper plane services or by ferry and coach onwards to reach the airports in these destinations. These places are unaffected by the isolation orders issued by Boris and co yet Athens has a huge population where the virus exists in numbers, total hypocrisy in my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 03:01:29 pm by tony welsh »