Author Topic: Late Sept Alykes Visit  (Read 260 times)

Al

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
Late Sept Alykes Visit
« on: October 04, 2020, 11:25:05 am »
Alykes  26th Sept -3rd Oct.

After my May holiday was cancelled like so many other people, I was concerned that September was going the same way, but Easyjet was still flying so decided to go and just isolate when I came back because Zak had been unfairly (IMO) put on the naughty list, despite been rather apprehensive about the whole thing.
Flew out from Bristol airport which was really strange as when I arrived, I think the staff outnumbered the passengers. Mask on from airport all the way to the apartments, I coped better than I thought I was going to. There were only about 28 people on the flight so well socially distanced and arrived just as the days rain that they were having, stopped. The weather overall during the week was really good for the time of year, with a few showers and a bit windy, but temps were well up into mid – high 20s and was quite sticky at times.

The resort was very quiet with seriously not a lot of tourists about, so there was very much a lack of activity and no “buzz” about the place, but as I like it quiet it was not really a big issue. There were businesses open and some closed and more closing due to the lack of trade and effects of the medicane during the previous week. There was a fair bit of damage and a lot of broken tiles around resulting in roofers quite been busy with repairs underway etc. Trees down everywhere, facings and signs damaged and metal roof sheeting missing, the salt flats were very full with water. The wearing of masks out and about due to the lack of people around was not happening by locals or tourists alike and to be honest not really needed as you were not near anyone, but everyone was masking up before going into shops and businesses had put a lot of effort into making people feel safe.
Overall an enjoyable break, people friendly, good food and wine, cold beer, great scenery all as normal, but with the dreaded covid bug issue always lurking somewhere in the background, I felt that I was in no way relaxed as in previous times, but that is the way it needs to be for now.

Flight back was fine, Zak airport more or less deserted and got away early with only about 30 on the plane, got upgraded to extra legroom seat over the wing as they needed the emergency exit rows to have a person on each.  Fantastic light show as we flew above and to the west of a big thunderstorm happening over Croatia, and with the white and red strobes of the aircraft and the many lightning strikes below  made it  really interesting event with people peering  and filming  it out of the starboard windows. Arrived in Bristol to a wet and cold night, good job I had my waterproof in my hand luggage for the walk to the car. A 2 ½ hour drive back up a very wet and dark M5 to home and now starting my 2 week isolation    “Welcome to Britain ”.

Am I glad I went? most definitely. Am I glad to be back? Well not really.
See what 2021 brings
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 11:34:31 am by Al »

tony welsh

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • www.photobucket.com
Re: Late Sept Alykes Visit
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 01:20:07 pm »
That’s excellent reading Al and like us a you were fortunate to get away despite all the worries, so glad to read you had a good time. Roll on the 2021 Season when hopefully things will be much improved and with wishful thinking  things will be back to normal for all !!!

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 02:20:08 pm »
Thanks for that Al a lovely read and so glad you got to go away.
Let's hope 2021 returns to a little normality  :)

Although not booking yet at these crazy prices

Sonia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • I love Alikanas
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 02:50:30 pm »
Nice to read your report Al, glad you had a good time.

Soupdragon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 03:41:10 pm »
Glad you managed to get away. It sounds as quiet as when we usually go mid October. So peaceful and relaxing, can't wait for next year

Cheers.        Tom and Rose

sophia

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 05:40:50 pm »
Great insight into your holiday to Zakynthos Al, told it like it is, unfortunately. We went to Kefalos Kos on 19th Sept, back 03rd Oct. Face masks worn throughout the journey and into the hotel which was Hotel Zeus. We were the only two people going there, Tui supplied a private eight seater taxi and same on way back. There was plenty of hand sanitiser in the hotel and sign in reception and bar regarding the wearing of masks. However, people arriving, settling in and then discarding their facemasks use in reception and bar as if there was no virus at all. Also, previous guests greeting other previous guests with hugs, unbelieveable! We wore our masks, not to be goody two shoes but out of respect to the Greek family running the hotel who always wore theirs. Least we could do to try and protect them and very selfish behaviour of those not complying. Again had to wear them in supermarket and also wore mine in the various bars when I may come into contact with others such as going to the toilet. Okay, this is a boring report but feel people would want to know how easy this virus is able to spread. We had a fantastic time, beach just opposite the little island of Kastri where the tiny church of St Nicolas stands for those familiar with this place. Back home now, no need to quarantine as Kos on travel corridor with Wales. However, back to Swansea being in lockdown. Better luck next year.

mari

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 03:37:01 pm »
Great insight into your holiday to Zakynthos Al, told it like it is, unfortunately. We went to Kefalos Kos on 19th Sept, back 03rd Oct. Face masks worn throughout the journey and into the hotel which was Hotel Zeus. We were the only two people going there, Tui supplied a private eight seater taxi and same on way back. There was plenty of hand sanitiser in the hotel and sign in reception and bar regarding the wearing of masks. However, people arriving, settling in and then discarding their facemasks use in reception and bar as if there was no virus at all. Also, previous guests greeting other previous guests with hugs, unbelieveable! We wore our masks, not to be goody two shoes but out of respect to the Greek family running the hotel who always wore theirs. Least we could do to try and protect them and very selfish behaviour of those not complying. Again had to wear them in supermarket and also wore mine in the various bars when I may come into contact with others such as going to the toilet. Okay, this is a boring report but feel people would want to know how easy this virus is able to spread. We had a fantastic time, beach just opposite the little island of Kastri where the tiny church of St Nicolas stands for those familiar with this place. Back home now, no need to quarantine as Kos on travel corridor with Wales. However, back to Swansea being in lockdown. Better luck next year.

Glad you had a good time  :) you are right people are very selfish and because of such people we all suffer. The virus is certainly coming back.  :'(