Author Topic: Greek Recipes  (Read 17907 times)

sunshine princess

• Offline Offline
Re: Greek Recipes
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 12:23:07 pm »
thanks.. :D
sarah
      x x x

Ianstu

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 09:13:21 am »
PASTITO

Sorry I haven't post and recipes recently. Ive been really busy.

Try this one. Its yummie. it uses a lots of Parmesan and eggs though.

BASE

250g macaroni pasta (you can use Pennie if you want)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2/4 cup (60g) Parmesan
2 tablespoons of stale bread crumbs.

MEAT SAUCE

2 table spoons olive oil
2 medium onions
750g minced beef
i can of tomatoes
1/3 (80ml) cup tomato paste
1/2 cup (125ml) water
1/4 cup (60ml) dry white wine
1 teaspoon beef stock powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg lightly beaten

TOPPING

90g butter
1/2 (75g) plain flower
3 1/2 (875ml) milk
1 cup (80g) Parmesan cheese
2 egg yolks.

1.BASE
 Grease shallow ovenproof dish (2.5 litre capacity). Add pasta to large pan of boiling water, boil uncovered, until just tender; drain. combine hot pasta eggs and cheese in a bowl; mix well. press pasta over base of prepared dish.

2. MEAT SAUCE

Heat oil in pan, add onions and mince cook, stirring until mince is well browned. stir in undrained crushed tomatoes; paste, water, wine, stock powder, and cinnamon, simmer uncovered until thick; cool. Stir in egg.

3. TOPPING

Melt butter in a pan, add flour, stir over heat until bubbling. remove from heat, gradually stir in milk. Stir over heat until sauce boils and thickens, stir in cheese; cool slightly. stir in egg yolks.

4. Top pasta evenly with meat sauce, pour over topping, sprinkle surface with breadcrumbs. Bake uncovered in moderate oven (gas 4, 180-190 C) for about  1 hour or until lightly browned. Stand for about 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 6

This can be made a day ahead and stored covered in fridge. You can freeze it and microwave later.

ENJOY

PM me if you have any questions.

Ian. :P

Gordon

• Special Powers
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 06:57:34 pm »
Two web-sites worth a look:- www.symivisitor.com     click on Recipes on the Home page,   and www.eatgreektonight.com

Ianstu

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006, 05:09:44 pm »
Here's another reciepe for lamb Kleftico. I have tried this and its VERY GOOD.

The verb 'klevo' in Greek means 'to steal'. This delicious lamb dish is called 'kleftiko' because, it is said, that when Greeks were fighting to liberate themselves from Ottoman Rule and hiding in the mountains, they would seal all the ingredients for this dish in a clay pot, bury it with hot coals under ground, cover with dirt, and allow it to braise, slowly, until done. This way, there were no delicious cooking smells in the air to betray their presence and bring the Ottomans to their hide-out. A romantic story - a lovely dinner. Don't forget some good red wine. Many, for lack of a clay pot (like a bean pot) wrap their kleftiko up well in parchment (a couple of layers) and braise that way. I used a roasting dish covered with foil worked just as good.

Cooking Time 3.5 hours .

15 min prep

1    small leg of lamb, bone in, cut into serving pieces or 6 shoulder lamb chops

1    large onion, peeled and cut into quarters

2    tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced or 1 lb good quality plum tomatoes, drained and diced

10    garlic cloves, peeled and left whole

1 1/2    tablespoons minced fresh oregano, crumbled or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled

1 1/2    tablespoons minced fresh spearmint, crumbled or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried spearmint, crumbled

5    medium size potatoes, peeled and quartered

8    ounces kefalotiri or kefalograviera cheese, cut into chunks of about 1 1/2 inches (pecorino or even parmesan can be subbed in a pinch)

1    large carrot, peeled and coarsely sliced

1    cup red wine

1/3    cup extra virgin olive oil

salt & freshly ground black pepper

2.   Preheat oven to 325F.

3.   In a large bowl, combine all ingredients together and toss well with scrupulously clean hands until everything is well-coated. Season generously with pepper, but go a little easier on the salt than you normally would cause the cheese will also lend its salt to the finished dish.

4.   If you have a large clay pot, like a bean pot, assemble the ingredients there, cover with lid, and proceed with recipe. If not, cut 6 large sheets of parchment, distribute the kleftiko mixture evenly amongst the 6 sheets, and wrap up envelope-style. You may need to double-wrap cause you don't want any of the lovely juices this recipe emits to get lost in drainage while braising. A large, covered casserole would work well, too. Basically what you want to do is have as little liquid escape during cooking as possible.

Braise, in the oven, for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. You want the meat to be falling off the bone. Yes, the potatoes and carrot will be very soft and tender, but will be permeated with a deep-rich flavour.

Do not judge this dish by the cooking standards you are used to - remember its origins - the conditions these people lived under -- this is gourmet food created during a time of rebellion

Enjoy

Ian :P

LFC4eva

• Jeanette
  • Global Moderator
  • YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • I luv Kalamaki !!
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2006, 05:42:10 pm »
Sounds delicious

My favourite Greek meal ... will have to try it

kerri

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 01:21:55 pm »
Has any1 got a recipe for stuffed tomatoes?? I've been having serious withdrawal symptoms!!

Doubt they would taste as nice as Zante ones tho.... english tomatoes just aren't the same  :-\

GOLDEE

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • yammas cant wait to get there again
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 01:59:52 pm »

STUFFED TOMATOES - GREEK STYLE

Ingredients
1 1/2 cup short grain rice
12 medium ripe tomatoes
1/2 cup currants
Pinch of sugar
1/2 cup hot water
Pinch of Salt
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
Freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp. chopped mint
1 lg. onion; chopped
Water or dry white wine
1/4 cup Pine nuts (optional)

Procedure
Slice tops from tomatoes and set aside. Scoop pulp and sprinkle cavities with a little sugar. Keep aside. Put pulp in a saucepan with salt, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon sugar and simmer until soft. Press through a sieve and reserve pulp. Gently fry onion in half of the oil until transparent. Add pine nuts (if used) and cook for further 5 minutes. Stir in rice, currants, hot water, parsley, mint and season to taste. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Fill tomatoes, allowing room for rice to swell. Replace tops and stand in an oven dish. Pour pureed tomato pulp and equal quantity of water or white wine into dish. Spoon remaining oil over tomatoes and cook, uncovered, in a moderate oven for 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold.

Temperature: 350

Baking Time: 30 minutes.

Here you are Kerri, hope this is the one, havnt tried it myself personally.. let me know how it goes.. Dee

kerri

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 12:42:04 pm »
oooh thankyou! Gonna have to try this  ;D ;D

chopsiewopsie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 06:25:35 pm »
Hi,
Try this site for all your Greek recipes.
www.greek-recipe.com
Regards
Chopsiewopsie

zantefunbex

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 09:43:47 pm »
been after this for ages gald i finally found.  Milos in kalamaki does it good!!!

PASTITO

Try this one. Its yummie. it uses a lots of Parmesan and eggs though.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:00:55 am by Christos »