Author Topic: Alykanas - what's there?  (Read 13931 times)

lottiecat

Alykanas - what's there?
« on: February 06, 2007, 11:07:44 am »
We are staying in Alykanas in May 2007.  I realize it's not a massive  resort, but could someone give me an idea of how small it is, ie how many shops, supermarkets, tavernas?  How long will it take to walk from one end to the other.  Also, are there any really child friendly tavernas and anything children (age 5) might like around?

Hazy

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • Allan, Hazy, Alexie (pool Barman) Alykanas in ?
Re: Alykanas - what's there?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 11:46:20 am »
Hi

Welcome to the boards,  Just to say Alykanas is a brilliant resort, we found it 5 years ago & been going back ever since, (October this year).  So many people return year after year as they fall in love with it & the island.  You don't say if you have been to Zante before, but the island itself is so beautiful.  Have a good look at the posts for different resorts & you will see how much people love it there.
Alykanas/Alykes are you can say twined resorts, Alykanas is set on the main road & the road carries on into Alykes (15 Min's) so you can walk from one to the other, or get a horse &, carriage, (7euro's)
Alykanas has an abundant of restaurants most are very good, you could eat at  a different one every night.  The beach is gentle shelving so it's ideal for young children, & there is always something going on in the bars, music bars, Buster's & Tipsy Toad do music quiz's etc. 
Our gang usually finish in the Greek owned Levante bar (nothing going on) for the Bacardi & diet cokes, a natter & a laugh.
There is a water park near Zante town which is good,& loads of trips to go on if you fancy, the Tranganiki, train ride is brilliant for all ages & it goes from Alykanas,  i am sure as everyone will tell you, you will have a great time in Alykanas.  Anything you want to know just post on the boards, all are friendly & font's of information.
You don't say were you are staying & how long, if you post we can let you know just what's going on around you etc.
Take Care.

Allan (Hazy)
Max Lee at Alykanas Beach 03/07/2009

Sonia

• Offline Offline
  • I love Alikanas
    • Utility Warehouse
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 01:36:41 pm »
Last season (it changes every year!) there were about 4 supermarkets, and a variety of smaller shops selling anything else you could possibly want on holiday.  There are in excess of 12 tavernas and even more bars.  I don't think it's quite as small as you may have thought.  All restaurants/tavernas welcome children. 

If you need any more specific info, ask away, I'm sure someone will know the answer.
Want to save money each month??? Check out my website http://www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk/chamsonoptions

lottiecat

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 02:41:48 pm »
Hi Hazy and Sonia

Thanks for your replies.  I'm sure we will have a great time.

Hazy, you asked were we are staying.  Well I'm a bit dubious now.  We have tried to book Alykanas Beach Village twice and it was fully booked, so we were so pleased this time when we booked online with Thomson.  Have since found out it is going to be a superfamily.  This will be great entertainment for our daughter and we don't mind lots of reps, just hope there aren't too many loud speakers and more noise than you would want at midnight with a child. Also, I have since read comments about the two bed apartments being tiny.

Lottiecat

cathy

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 03:07:18 pm »
Hi Lottiecat
This is the first year Thomsons have taken over the beach village so nobody knows what to expect but I'm sure your daughter will have plenty to keep her occupied.  Please don't get trapped in the Beach Village because the resort and island have a lot to offer and as far as I am concerned the Beach Village is not typically Greek but it is in a fantastic location right on the beach.

In my opinion you have picked the best resort on the island.  I'm sure you'll all have a fantastic time.

Cathy

Hazy

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • Allan, Hazy, Alexie (pool Barman) Alykanas in ?
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 03:13:13 pm »
The Alykanas Village was with Airtour's until this year, its a large complex set right on the beach, it's less than 5 Min's from the centre of Alykanas.  There was talk last September while we were there of Thompson having about 16 reps on hand, so they are obviously looking at keeping as many people in the complex as possible.  If you are Self catering, i would say don't stay there all the time, have your evening meal at one of the many restaurant's, taverna's.
If it gets crowded, you can always try another, any pool, nobody minds, so long as you eat their food, & drink their drink.  As Sonia said there are loads of supermarkets, shops & i forgot to mention there are two cash m/c's in Alykanas also.  Dont know two much about the size of the apartments, cant help you there.

Allan (Hazy)
Max Lee at Alykanas Beach 03/07/2009

lottiecat

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 09:56:03 am »
Thanks again Hazy for your comments.  We're going to Alykanas for two weeks to celebrate my 40th, so will probably spend a couple of days on the complex to relax while our daughter makes the most of the facilities. Other than that we certainly intend to see a lot more of the island and eat out locally at night.  We plan to hire a car, see if we can go on a boat trip, the train trip and anything else that is of interest when we arrive.

Lottiecat

cathy

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 10:42:42 am »
A word of advice.  If you intend to book trips, don't do them through the reps as you can get far better deals in resort.  In fact as you walk out of the Beach Village, down the slope, there is a company there who are reeally helpful and offer good deals.  Hopefull Tony will be working for them again this year.  He's a really nice guy whose full of useful information. 
Have fun.
Cathy

weestephen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 07:28:24 pm »
Have just booked the Alykanas Beach Village for July this year. Can't wait to go now. We had the best holiday ever in Kalamaki three years ago. How does Alykanas compare?

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 07:44:11 pm »
Have just booked the Alykanas Beach Village for July this year. Can't wait to go now. We had the best holiday ever in Kalamaki three years ago. How does Alykanas compare?

Speaking from a completely biased and partisan position I'd have to say that it's superior in every way ;D ;D (but don't tell anyone I said so...shhhh).

LFC4eva

• Jeanette
  • Global Moderator
  • YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
  • I luv Kalamaki !!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 10:21:51 pm »

Speaking from a completely biased and partisan position I'd have to say that it's superior in every way ;D ;D (but don't tell anyone I said so...shhhh).

and you've stayed in Kalamaki soooo many times, you're highly qualified in making that statement

You also say that Everton are the best team on Merseyside

weestephen,  I'm sure you will have a FAB time .. we have always stayed in Kalamaki and love it there, but there are lots of people on here who love Alykanas just as much ... and they can't all be wrong

Jeanette

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 01:29:33 pm »
and you've stayed in Kalamaki soooo many times, you're highly qualified in making that statement

You also say that Everton are the best team on Merseyside

weestephen,  I'm sure you will have a FAB time .. we have always stayed in Kalamaki and love it there, but there are lots of people on here who love Alykanas just as much ... and they can't all be wrong

Jeanette

Did say I was completely biased and in no way qualified to make the judgement  ;D.
Though I did go to Kalamaki once for a couple of hours and was suitably impressed.
Think if you enjoy one you're pretty much certain to enjoy the other Stephen.

(And of course Everton are the best team on Merseyside this year Jeanette....the red half didn't manage to get a goal past our rock solid defence for 180 minutes....though I must congratulate you on managing to hold on for a point at Anfield 8)tee hee)

weestephen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 07:20:48 pm »
Whoops. Didn't mean to start an argument about whether Alykanas is better then Kalamaki or whether Everton are better than Liverpool. If I really wanted to start an argument I would own up to being a Rangers fan.  ;)

Still got that excitement from having just booked and know it will be a great holiday. To be honest I've never had a bad holiday, just the ones in Greece are better than the ones in Spain.

I know we've booked a Thomson Superfamily and can understand it's not everyone's cup of tea but the kids love it. We have always liked to see the resort we are in and will eat out evey night. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Mike

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
    • My Photos
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 08:50:54 pm »
 ;) It's OK...it's not a real argument (if it was i'd be heavily outnumbered on both counts ;D)....

Have a look at this thread from last year for restaurants (and more)..

http://www.zante.me.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6155.0

Murdoch

• YaBB God
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 10:01:25 pm »
Whoops. Didn't mean to start an argument about whether Alykanas is better then Kalamaki or whether Everton are better than Liverpool. If I really wanted to start an argument I would own up to being a Rangers fan.  ;)

Right then on the subject of Rangers..... :D :D